chapter eight: the battle of starcourt (p1)

Y/n's POV:

Everybody was still panicking and surrounding El as Jonathan jumped behind one of the food counters to get a knife and tissues. Whilst back there he also got a wooden spoon for El to bite on. 

"Hey, hey, hey. Stay awake, stay awake," Mike repeated to her, "Let's get her on this side, on this side." He attempted to move her with the help of me, Nancy, Steve, and Dustin.

"Easy, easy, easy, easy," Steve told us as we moved her.

"It's uh...You know, it's not actually that bad. There was a...The goalie on my soccer  team, Beth Wildfire, this other girl slid into her leg, and the whole bone came out of her knee, six inches or something, it was insane-" Robin blabbered.

"Robin," I called her name, "Not helping."

"I'm sorry," She apologized, still panicking. Jonathan had run back with everything he grabbed and kneeled next to El.

"Okay, all right El," He set everything down, "This is gonna hurt like hell, okay?"

El, whilst sobbing, replied, "Okay."

"I need you to stay real still," Jonathan tried coaching her, "Here, you're gonna want to bite down on this, okay?" He handed her the wooden spoon. As Jonathan was prepping for what he had to do, I was trying to help El by having her take deep breaths and to have her keep her eyes focused on me and not her leg.

"Just look at me and breathe," She nodded, "It's going to be okay; you're going to be okay." Jonathan had inched the knife closer to the infected area on her leg, but hesitated.

"Do it," Mike told him. After that, Jonathan nodded and proceeded to cut into El's leg. She had begun to scream, and she squeezed both mine and Mike's hands for comfort. I could tell the pain was becoming unbearable for her when I started to lose the feeling in my hand. Her screams got louder and she started to sob when Jonathan stuck his hand in the open cut to get the thing out of it. 

"Jonathan!" Nancy yelled at him.

"Stop talking!" He yelled back, "Goddamn it!"

"Stop! You're hurting her!" I shouted at him.

"No! Stop it!" El screamed at him, "Stop, stop!" She put her hand out and focused on the thing in her leg. She started screaming at such force that the glass window from behind us all shattered to pieces and littered the ground. She finally got the thing out of her leg and threw it across the floor, it screeching and attempting to crawl away. As we all stared at the creature attempting to make an escape, a boot stomped on it. That boot belonged to Jim Hopper who was accompanied by Joyce Byers and some guy. They had walked over to us, Hopper heling El stand and we all walked over to the water fountain where Mike was explaining who and what this Mind Flayer thing was.

"The Mind Flayer, it built this monster in Hawkins, to stop El, to kill her and pave a way into our world," Mike told us.

Nancy added, "And it almost did. That was just one tiny piece of it." 

"How big is this thing?" Hopper asked.

"It's big," Jonathan replied, thinking of the actual size of the thing, "Thirty feet, at least."

"Yeah," Lucas nodded in agreement then turned to Hopper, "It sorta destroyed your cabin. Sorry."

"Okay, so, just to be clear, this..." Steve paused, "this big fleshy spider thing that hurt El, it's some kind of gigantic...weapon?" 

"Yes," Nancy answered.

"But instead of, like, screws and metal, the Mind Flayer made its weapon...with melted people," I furrowed my eyesbrows.