chapter three: The Pollywog (p2)

*you are wearing the same outfit as the last chapter :)*

*(Y/N) POV:*
I got to Hawkins Middle School as fast as I could and went to the A.V. room. I knocked on the door and a boy with light brown curls and a hat let me in. I looked around and I saw Mike, Max, and two other boys that I didn't know. One with a bowl cut and the other with dark skin.

"Hi, I'm (Y/N)," I greeted them all.

"I'm Lucas, it's nice to finally meet the girl Mike wanted to be here so bad," Lucas laughed. Mike had a fast growing blush on his face. I chuckled and sighed.

"I'm Will," Will said.

"Jonathan's younger brother, right?" I asked him and he nodded.

"Let's get on with what we are all gathered here for," Dustin looked at everyone and then opened a box to reveal some slimy looking thing.

"His name is D'Artagnan," Dustin said lifting the thing up from the box which contained it. "Cute, right?"

"D'Artagnan?" Mike asked.

"Dart for short," Dustin petted 'Dart.'

"And he was in your trash?" Max asked.

"Foraging got food," Dustin looked at Max. "You wanna hold him?" Oh it was so obvious he was trying to impress her.

"No, no," Max said.

"Come on, Max, how bad could it possibly be," I tried to reassure her. Dustin nodded in agreement.

"He doesn't bite," Dustin said.

"I don't want to-" Max was cut off by Dustin handing Dart over to her.

"Oh, God, he's slimy!" Max passed him over to me.

"It's not the worst thing I've touched in my life," I shrugged and passed Dart over to Lucas.

"Ugh, he's like a living booger," Lucas cringed and tossed Dart to Will.

"Ugh, oh, God!" Will gave Dart to Mike.

Mike just held him calmly and asked Dustin, "What is he?" Good question, Mike, I'm pretty sure everybody was thinking the exact same thing.

"My question exactly," Dustin smiled at Dart showing his two missing front teeth. I thought they were adorable if you ask me.

Dustin slammed a book on the table in front of all of us, "At first I thought it was some type of Pollywog."

"Pollywog?" Max asked.

"It's another word for tadpole. A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad."

"I know what a tadpole is," Max said in an 'obviously' tone.

"All right, then you know most tadpoles are aquatic, right?" Dustin asked. "Well, Dart, he isn't. He doesn't need water."

"But if a tadpole lives in water to survive then how is Dart still alive?" I asked.

"Yeah, but aren't there non-aquatic Pollywogs?" Lucas asked.

"Terrestrial Pollywogs? Yup, two to be exact," Dustin stated, "Indirana semipalmata, and the Adenomera andreae. One's from India, one's from South America. So how did one end up in my trash?"

"Maybe some scientists brought it here and it escaped?" I suggested.

"Do you guys see that?" Mike asked. "Looks like something is moving inside of it." Mike moved the light over to Dart and he screeched loudly. I covered my ears because it was annoying. Dart moved off the table but before it could fall to the floor Dustin caught it. He went into a long speech about how reptiles love the sun since they're cold blooded, and Lucas asked that if Dart wasn't a reptile or a Pollywog then what was he.

"Then I've discovered a new species," Dustin smiles again. Will just stared at Dart and didn't move at all until the bell rang and he came out of his trance. They were walking down the halls and for some reason I walked with them. Will stayed in the back of them and I stayed back with him. He stopped moving and I looked at him and he was just staring again.

"Will? Will? You okay?" I asked him. He finally came out of his hypnotic stare and nodded his head. I was worried for the kid, I mean even though I barely know him I feel the need to look out for him. For all the kids that were in that A.V. room. Like I was their mom in some sense. (No! Steve's the mom you're the dad get it right (Y/N) 😤.) It was lunch for both the middle school and the high school so I told the kids to stay outside the school at the entrance and I got us all sandwiches and some snacks from a 7/11 that was nearby. We all sat outside and Dustin saw a couple 3 musketeers bars.

"You got nougat?" Dustin asked.

"Well, yeah, nougat is the best chocolate candy in the world, and if you don't agree you're officially insane," I laughed.

"I like nougat!" Mike jumped into the conversation.

"No you don't. You said nougat su-" Lucas said but was cut off by Mike.

"I said nougat is super delicious, Lucas," Mike muttered through an angry expression.

"Oh really? Then I dare you to eat a whole bar," I smirked. He accepted the challenge and at the whole thing perfectly fine. No gagging. No grimacing. He just ate it.

*Mike's POV:*
I had to impress (Y/N) somehow so I put myself in her and Dustin's conversation.

"I like nougat!" And I mentally cringed at how eager I sounded.

"No you don't. You said nougat su-" I cut Lucas off.

"I said nougat is super delicious, Lucas," I gave him an angry expression.

"Oh really? Then I dare you to eat a whole bar," (Y/N) smirked. I had to do it. It's now or never Mike. I picked up one of the bars of nougat and ate the whole thing trying to impress her. Everyone looked at me shocked. It was disgusting. The nougat not everyone's faces. Definitely not (Y/N)'s face.

"You proved yourself worthy of the nougat club," Dustin and (Y/N) said.

"What's the nougat club?" Max asked.

"Well it's not real it's a metaphorical club. Where people who love nougat become one and enjoy their lives. Which is a club you aren't in," (Y/N) smiled. She was joking at the last part. That last part was obviously directed toward Max.

"Well guys sorry I have to end this lovely lunch but it's time for you to go to class and me to go back to my class. Adiõs!" And with that (Y/N) left and we all went to our class only a couple minutes early.

Hey guys! Another chapter done, and we still have some stuff to do with this episode so there definitely will be a part three soon. Next chapter the reader will be interacting with Billy more and talk to Billy more. Should the reader and Steve get together now, wait until a little later in the book, or get together in season 3? Bye guys! -Crixbabyy 💖