chapter one: MADMAX (p2)

A small trigger warning, I'll tell you when it is and when it ends.
*Y/N POV*:
It's currently 2:45 a.m. and I can't stop thinking about what happened dinner. My father wasn't there which was a huge relief. He would always yell at me for no reason and he would do worse things to Billy. Anyways back to the dinner thing, Billy went out so that left me, Max, and her mom. Her mom was passed out on the couch from god knows what so I, being the responsible older (step) sister I am decided to make Max and I some spaghetti.

"Sooo Max, you like anyone? Any boys catch your eye?" I asked while we read magazines in her room as we were eating.

"No, they're all dumb and immature. There were a couple of creeps spying on me, though," she rolled her eyes.

"They probably like you," I smirked.

"So Y/N, any boys YOU like?" Max retorted.

"No," I said bluntly. I was obviously lying. She could sense I was lying and I knew it. We stopped the boy talk and painted our nails when we finished eating. I heard a car engine and prayed it was Billy. News flash: it wasn't. It was my father and he was pissed. He stunk of alcohol and cigarettes. I hate both of those things, those things are what drove my mom away and left me and Billy with our father. You might notice the change of word for Neil. It went from dad to father. Here's the reason why.
⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️
He first stormed into Max's room where me and Max were and he dragged me out of there by my hair. He just took a fist full of my hair and dragged me into my room. Then he took the first thing he saw, it was a metal hanger, and he just started hitting me repeatedly with it on my upper leg/thigh area. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a crying Max in my doorway. That's when Billy came home and he saw what was happening. He punched my father in the face over and over and he pulled him into the front lawn and starting punching him more. Billy came back inside and locked all the doors and windows. I was bleeding from being hit. I mean, it was a metal hanger. I was full out sobbing and I ran into the bathroom to clean myself up. I had to make a few stitches but it wasn't a big deal. I heard my father pull out of the driveway and drive to who knows where. I'm guessing Max's mom went with him because she wasn't in the living room anymore. After I had cleaned myself up I walked back to my room.
⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING OVER ⚠️
After what happened Max was too scared to sleep in her own room so she asked to sleep in my room which of course I let her. That was what I couldn't stop thinking about. I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water to help me fall asleep, but before I could open the door to my bedroom to leave something told me not to. Like a gut feeling or something, so I didn't and I tried falling back asleep on my own. I did but only for an hour or so. I was up too early so I read The Color Purple by Alice Walker. It was one of my favorites and it was published in 1982. I tried to read as hard as I could since well it was 3 or 4 in the morning. I hadn't noticed I had been reading for a while until Max woke up and she told me to get changed for school since it was already 6:00. This is what I wore

I put on some mascara and lipgloss and then I was completely done

I put on some mascara and lipgloss and then I was completely done. I put my hair in (whatever hairstyle or just left it down) then got an apple from the kitchen bowl and got in Billy's car. Same thing as yesterday, dropped Max off then went to school.

"Hey, you!" I heard someone call. I didn't do anything because it most likely wasn't directed towards me. But low and behold it was.

"Y/N!" I heard a female voice screech.

"Yes," I turned around and was face to face with Nancy? "Uh hi?" I asked.

"Hey, sorry if I sounded rude or looked like I wanted to kill you yesterday but I just got jealous since, well, you're just really pretty and I get insecure and jealous sometimes so I'm sorry," she looked down/up/straight at me.

"It's fine, and I'm sorry if it looked like I was flirting with Steve all we were talking about was what Tommy said," I laughed. She laughed too.

"Wanna start over and walk to class?" She asked.

"Sure, I would like that," I replied. That's how I got a new friend. Nancy Wheeler, the girl I thought hated me. The school day went pretty fast after that, and instead of driving home with Billy and Max, I walked to the arcade. When I got there I saw Billy's car and then Max hey out. I heard screaming and then Billy driving off with Max flipping him off. She walked into the arcade and I stayed out for a bit to just relax before going in, and I swear I saw something move in the bushes. It was probably just my imagination. I went inside the arcade and saw Max playing "Dig Dug" it was one of her favorite games back in California and here. I played a couple of other games until it was later and I asked Max if she wanted to walk home and she said sure so we walked home. When we got home I didn't see my father or Susan (not surprised) and I just made me and Max a salad since Billy was sleeping. Max slept in my room again and that night before I went to bed I wrote in my diary.

Dear diary,
Today was very eventful. Me and Nancy Wheeler are now friends, Neil and Susan are nowhere to be found which is good in my opinion. I avoided Steve all day because I don't know how I'm going to be able to look at him without making Nancy feel jealous (her words not mine,) the only times I had to talk to him were in our multiple shared classes and at lunch. Other than that everything was good. Well goodnight.
                                                    ~Y/N Hargrove

A/N
Hey were getting closer to the Nancy-Steve breakup and that means that the reader and Steve will get closer. Anyways we're almost at 100 reads 🥴 and I'm freaking out. Bye y'all.

-Crixbabyy