before season 3 (extra chapter, but very important)

Basically, all these events take place a week before everything happens in season 3.
Outfit at top.
*(Y/N) POV:*
I was in my boyfriend Steve's kitchen, waiting for him to get back from his interview at "Scoop's Ahoy," an ice cream shop in the new Starcourt mall. His dad wanted him to get a job to pay for college. We graduated last month, and nothing could be better.

We didn't have any troubles with the mind-flayer, demogorgan thing anymore. We haven't for 6 or 7 months. Everything was normal, and okay. Billy hasn't been acting like a dick (and he's even being nice to Max), and Steve and I'd relationship couldn't be any better. I'm really great friends with Mike, Lucas and Hopper, but my best friends are Max, El, Nancy, Will, and Jonathan. Joyce is like a mother figure to me and Max (well basically everyone) but I couldn't be any happier at where my life was.

I heard the front door open and Steve came over to me.

"Heyy," I hugged him, he hugged me back.

"Hey, um, can we go to my room. We, uh, need to talk," He looked nervous.

"Sure," I eyed him, then walked up to his room.

"So, I've been thinking recently, and I think it would be for the best if we broke up," Steve looked down.

"W-what?" My eyes started to tear up. I thought our relationship was at it's best. At it's peak. But turns out I was the only one who thought that.

"I'm sorry, I really am, but-" Steve started.

"No, save it. You wanna break up? Fine. We're broken up. And here's your dumb promise ring," I was pissed. I threw the ring at him (the one at the top) and stormed out of his house. I ran until I reached my own house, and went straight to my room.

"Where is it? Where is it?" I savaged through my jewelry box. I found it. The necklace my mother gave me. I took a deep breath and knocked on Max's door.

"Hey (Y/N/N), what's up?" She asked me, opening her door.

"I just wanted to give you this," I said and held out the necklace for her to take. She smiled and picked it up gently.

"Can you put it in for me?" Max asked me. I nodded and clipped the necklace on her.

"Hey, I'm gonna go to Nancy's house, here's $15. You can go to the arcade if you want just be home before 5:00, okay?" I said and she nodded her head before riding her skateboard down the street.

~Le time skippity to the Wheeler's house~

I knocked on the door and Mrs. Wheeler answered.

"Oh, hi (Y/N)," She greeted me with a smile.

"Hi Mrs. Wheeler, is Nancy here?" I asked chewing on my bottom lip.

"Yeah, she's in her room. Oh and you can call me Karen. Mrs. Wheeler makes me feel old," She laughed. I smiled at her and went to Nancy's room.

I knocked on her door and she opened it. As soon I stepped foot in her room I broke down.

"(Y/N/N), what's wrong?" She asked me, pulling me into a hug.

"Nance, Steve broke up with me," I sobbed into her shoulder.

"What? He's lucky I don't go there and slap him in his face," She looked mad. I rolled my eyes playfully and wiped my eyes.

"I mean, I thought everything was fine, and I thought our relationship was doing really good, but turns out I was wrong," I shrugged playing with my bracelets. (You have the charm one and the rainbow one, which is a friendship bracelet, and Nancy has a rainbow one just like yours. Because, you know, friendship bracelets.)