chapter two: Vecna's Curse

The two cassettes in the outfit pic are Queen and Metallica, these are two of Y/n's top listened cassettes and they will be referenced the most.

Y/n's POV:

I was awoken at five o'clock in the morning to my alarm. I turned to shut it off when I saw Max do it instead as she placed down the bottle of ibuprofen. I groaned, feeling my own headache come about and called out to her.

"Could you get me some?" I asked her as I sat up and rubbed my head. She handed me two pills and I thanked her, dry swallowing them. She walked back over to her bed and went back to sleep where I instead got dressed for work. I pulled over my windbreaker and grabbed some money from my drawer. Maybe I should get a new Walkman, I pondered, Max has my old one and I miss listening to all my cassettes, so I might as well.

I was waiting outside for Steve to come pick me up, he normally came at 6:00 since our shifts mostly started at 6:20. Robin's house was closer to our jobs but was also close to where I lived so Steve always picked me up first. While I was waiting, I noticed Eddie's van was missing. That's odd, I thought, Eddie doesn't usually leave this early. If anything, he's late.

It was still fairly dark outside when Steve picked me up. I was in the front with him and when we picked up Robin she was in the back. We were all talking about the pep rally and last night's game.

"You're kidding," I was in disbelief when Robin filled the Steve and I in on the shitty speech Jason gave the student body, "He said that Billy and Hopper's sacrifices, along with all the other people we lost, were connected to basketball?

"Yup," She nodded from her seat, "He even dedicated the championship game to them."

"Oh, what I would give to punch that bleach-blond, banana head, big bird looking deckhead," I scoffed. Who did he think he was mentioning all of those people, including my brother, in his inspirational speech? Oprah? We finally pulled up the parking lot and I noticed that the lights were off at my store. Eddie's van wasn't parked at his trailer though.

"You wanna just hang with us," Steve asked, "It doesn't even look like your manager is there."

"He's not supposed to be here today," I told him and Robin, "Eddie was supposed to open, but if he's not here I can't open the store. I have a key, but I have no authorized person above me to watch over, like I cannot work by myself, it would be too overwhelming and I'm still 'new.'"

"Okay, so come with us," Robin said as we all headed toward Family Video.

"I will, in a second," I walked towards The Wall with the keys in my hand, "I'm just going to buy a Walkman really quick."

"Okay," Steve called out as he opened his door, "But if you're not here within the next twenty minutes I'm sending Robin in to check on you."

I did a mini salute to both Robin, who had begun to laugh, and Steve, "Sir, yes sir." I turned my heel and walked into The Wall. I walked over to the electronic section which consisted of radios, handheld stereos, and just what I needed. A shelf full of Walkmen. I picked it up, put cash in the register, and walked out locking the door behind me. I rushed into Family Video where I was greeted to the sound of Robin and Steve having a conversation and nobody in the store.

"What are you guys talking about?" I asked as I placed the plastic bag that held my Walkman behind the counter.

"Just Vickie and how she laughed at my Muppet joke," Steve emphasized that it was, in fact, his Muppet joke.

"It is a funny joke," Robin shrugged and I agreed, "But my point is that Vickie laughed and everything was just like...It was perfect."

"But?" Steve asked, already knowing that Robin was overthinking about it and would have a rebuttal to her own thoughts.