Be-equal-ten (Steve Harrington x Male!Reader)

Steve had this egg-drop project in the bag.

Despite being initially disappointed that he couldn't join a group with his friends - since there were too many members - his excitement reignited as he noticed all of his new group members were huge nerds. No way they'd let the whole group fail on his account, an A+ on a silver platter. Too easy.

He sat down, idly listening to the nerds converse while he thought about his next date with his most recent girlfriend, Lilianna.

"It just doesn't make sense. It can't be this heavy, or the whole project will fail." Steve focused back on the conversation, his eyes falling on Y/n. He'd never talked to the boy before, but he didn't think he'd ever seen him this distressed.

The popular teen scanned over the table, eyeing the scribbled-over notebook paper with math calculations, practically erased and rewritten to death. He furrowed his eyebrows at the scale, carrying the egg and basket as it rapidly changed its weight back and forth.

"And here we thought we had the mathlete on our side." One of the other group members, Jack, huffed with an eye roll. "Just admit you did it wrong so Ms. Collins can just tell us what to do."

"If we have to ask her for answers, she said she'd take off 20 points automatically. I'd rather figure out what's wrong here before admitting defeat." Y/n said, running a stressed hand through his hair. (Steve was a tad bit jealous that Y/n's hair fell perfectly and shone in the light without the use of any product, unlike Steve, whose morning routine took two hours.)

Feeling bad for the boy, Steve took a second look at the scale, noticing the way Jack kept his hand on the edge of it. "Does the weight affect it?"

Jack snorted, "Is the nucleus composed of neutrons and protons?" 'God, this guy's a jerk and a dork at the same goddamn time,' Steve thought in annoyance. The rest of the group laughed at the joke cruelly as Steve wondered how his popular status had no effect on the nerds.

He looked to Y/n helplessly, who stared back with a sympathetic smile. "Ignore them, they aren't as smart as they make themselves seem. What were you saying about the weight?" Y/n leaned in closer to avoid the loud conversation from the other members.

Since when was eye contact incredibly attractive?

Fleeting thoughts aside, Steve blinked away from the radiant e/c eyes and refocused his train of thought. "The weight scales we use for basketball are tipped by the smallest things, and genius here had his hand on the corner. So I figured that if the weight plays a huge role, then he's screwing everything up."

Y/n squinted down at the scale, swatting Jack's hand away, and scoffed with a smile. "You're right, Harrington. Thanks." His grin infected Steve at a deeper level than the jock cared to think about.

The other members rolled their eyes while a swell of pride filled Steve's chest.

~~~~

Looking around the cafeteria hopelessly, Steve's shoulders fell. In one week, the girl of his dreams broke his heart, he got his ass handed to him by Jonathan The Freak Byers, he lost his main two friends, and he dropped down the social ladder, the bottom of the barrel. Who wants to be around someone lower than dirt?

He heard Y/n's laugh. He wondered if his kindness during the group project a few months ago was any indication that Y/n was an accepting person that wouldn't judge him for his recent fall from grace.

The walk of shame to the cafeteria table seemed to last forever with the glares from Tommy and Carol that Steve attempted to ignore.

"No, no, how are you not getting this? Colin Baker is clearly going to be the worst doctor by far. Every other doctor had their ups and downs, but this guy is so boring, he's not entertaining."

"Bullshit." Y/n cut in. "He just started; he's literally only had like five minutes of screen time. How can you judge him from that alone? Plus, he seems really excited about playing the role. The other ones were really good, and it's practically impossible to beat Tom Baker's performance, but I think he'll be just as good as the rest."

Steve awkwardly watched as the group of nerds slowly noticed his presence behind Y/n, who still had his back turned to him. "What do you want, Harrington?" Jack spat venomously, crossing his arms.

Y/n turned around in his chair, looking up at Steve as a smile made its way on his face. "Hey, Harrington. You need something?"

God, is this embarrassing, or what?

"Yeah, can I, uh, sit here?"

Y/n seemed shocked but didn't comment on it as he gestured for Steve to sit in the empty seat beside him. It seemed the whole table went silent when Steve interrupted the conversation, yet - with a flip of his shiny hair - Y/n reignited the conversation.

~~~~

idk where to go from here lol, i wrote this last summer :p

4/5/23