All This Time (Tom!Peter Parker x Male!OC)

Daniel kept his crush on his good friend Peter a secret, at least on his part. But soon, May and Ned knew. Then Happy knew - Daniel still wasn't sure if May tipped him off or the ever-oblivious man actually took notice of the teen's body language around the nerdy boy. Soon even Flash Thompson, of all people, knew.

So the whole world knew.

Except for Peter. And Daniel planned to keep it that way.

Besides Peter's heterosexuality and his oh-so-obvious type that did not match up with Daniel, the crushing boy knew they would never work out for two reasons:

Daniel wasn't the best partner, and he knew he'd inevitably hurt Peter. Ever the asocial introvert, Daniel was never described as a people person. His past relationships ended because of his lack of communication, his not-so-obvious display of emotions, and the constant overstimulation that called for a break from or with those closest to him.

Two, Peter also did not seem ready for a relationship. Daniel noticed Peter's constant disappearances and lack of motivation/dedication to his clubs as of late. If Peter couldn't push himself to stay in the robotics club, how could he push himself to stay emotionally present in a relationship? Not only that, how could Daniel be so selfish as to force the already-spread-thin teen - working around AP and honors courses, the Stark Internship, and sparing a bit of time for his friends and May - to focus on yet another taxing aspect of life that is a loving relationship?

So no, Daniel never planned on letting Peter know. He simply grit his teeth and supported his friend in any way he could, no matter how much he ached for an ounce of special attention.

~~peter's pov~~

Peter sat in Academic Decathlon practice, idly daydreaming about how nice settling down with someone would be. Just date, like high schoolers, without the burden of being a vigilante superhero. Her eyes, her hair, her hands...

"What's up?" Peter snapped out of his trance and performed his handshake with Ned. When his best friend asked what was on his mind, the usually quick-witted boy didn't know what to say.

He opted for a shrug and stated his mind was running wild.

"By the way, just warning you, Flash is planning on replacing you at the next competition. I tried talking everyone out of it, but he's running with the 'who's more reliable' campaign."

Despite Ned's sympathetic tone and expression, Peter felt annoyance course through his veins. He couldn't argue Flash's point, but he could still feel upset with the decision.

With a frown on his face, the absentee teen approached Daniel, hoping to find at least one other person on his side. The introverted boy sat on the edge of the stage with his feet dangling, laughing and joking with Flash Thompson. Peter slowed as he got lost in thought. Since when? Was Peter that out of touch to not notice one of his best friends' newfound friendship with his...what? Bully? Enemy?

"Pete? Did you need something?" His face became coated in red at being caught staring. Whatever. Flash and Daniel could do what they wanted. Peter didn't care all that much.

"No, nothing. Sorry." He apologized and walked back to Ned, head hung in shame.

Ned stared at him in disbelief, "What was that? Why were you so awkward?"

~~~~

sorry i was gonna finish this but i have no inspo for it and i wanna get rid of my drafts 😭

6/27/23