4

The next day arrives, and I wake up to my doorknob rattling. I check my phone and it's 3 in the afternoon. I sit up in bed and blink my sleepiness away as the door opens, revealing Karter in casual wear for the first time.

"We've got things to do. Let's go."

"I'm not even ready yet, I just woke up."

"Well I'm giving you thirty minutes to be ready, or I'll get you there myself."

"What? I can't be ready in-". He cuts me off by shutting my door and I scoff.

~

After 45 minutes, I'm not looking how I wanted to, but I walk downstairs anyway to see Karter at the end of staircase checking his watch while tapping his foot.

"Fifteen minutes late." he says, sounding irritated.

"I told you I couldn't be ready in thirty minutes. I'm still not." I say.

"I said thirty."

"You also said you'd get me there myself. What happened to that?" I say, rolling my eyes.

"You wouldn't like the way I'd get you there." he says.

My brows knit together with confusion. "What does that mean?" I ask, puzzled.

"How about don't try me and you won't have to find out because believe me, you won't be able to handle it."

"You say that like you're so sure." I say, still confused.

"I am, trust me."

"As if." I say, walking the rest of the way down the stairs and behind Karter.

As we walk, instantly something pops up in my head. I look to Karter, hesitant to say anything because I know he won't care, but I force it out anyways.

"So... my eight week checkup is tomorrow. For the baby." I say nervously. "Are you gonna be able to make it?" He looks down into his phone, sending messages and typing away, and I roll my eyes, scoffing. "Right." I say.

Letting it go and staying quiet, we drive around as I look out the window, texting Jacob every now and then, lying to Karter saying it's a friend. After long hours of riding around, we get back to his house at 6 in the evening.

I walk in the house, a little tired, and I head upstairs when I overhear Karter talking to Carson. I make out little things.

"I'm going out.... let her.... I'll be back."

I brush it off as I walk upstairs, not thinking much of it, and I close my room door, getting in bed. After a while, I hear Carson walking up the stairs, shutting his door afterwards. A few more minutes pass before I get a text.

It's Jacob. "Are you awake?"

"Yes." I reply, sending it.

A few seconds later he texts back.

"Come see me. Please."

I sigh, different scenarios going through my head before I just say fuck it.

"I don't have my car. Come get me." I say.

"Otw." he says.

I hop up out of bed and I throw something on before I sneak out of my room and down the stairs quietly. When I get into the foyer, I get to the door, prying it open softly before I hear a deep, vibrating voice speak out to me.

"Where are you going?" he says, now familiarizing into Karter's voice.

"Um... I was just-I was going to take-"

"Don't try and lie to me either, 'cause I know you've been texting him."

"Wait, what?"

"Daniella, I'm not fucking stupid." he says walking up to me. "Listen to me." he says walking closer, hovering over me. "I see now that just telling you things won't work if I wanna get you to listen, so we'll try something better.". He gets even closer as he looks me in my eyes, now having my back against the door as I look up to him. "I don't like being disobeyed, and I don't like repeating myself so this is the last time I'll say it."

"Karter-"

"You are not to associate with him in any way, and if I am to catch you talking with him or see him in my fucking driveway, I will not hesitate to kill him in cold fucking blood, and I will make sure I punish you in the process. Do I make myself clear." he says, pure anger plastered on his face, bleeding out with his words.

My heart races as I realize that he's serious about what he's saying, and whether or not he's toying with me, I don't wanna find out.

"Do I make... myself... clear?" he enunciates.

"Yes." I say in a low whisper.

"Do I?!"

"Yes." I say louder for him to hear, my voice shaking with fear.

"Good night. And while you're at it, tell him not to set foot on my goddamn property, or he's dead."

I nod quickly and when he leaves, I start to breathe again, pulling my phone out quickly to call him, telling him not to come.

"Dani, seriously?" he replies back.

"I'm serious Jacob, don't fucking come here." I say, getting impatient.

"What the hell, Dani?"

"I'm only telling you this to protect you. Trust me, it's in your best interest."

"I should have fucking known. You're whipped and now you're letting him control your every fucking move."

"Jacob, no, what the hell is wrong with you?!"

"What's wrong with you? Ever since he dragged you out of this house you've treated me like I'm completely nonexistent. Then the first time in months we talk, and you talk like you've missed me so much, then you just push me away."

"Jacob, I have bigger fucking responsibilities."

"You're carrying a baby by a man you don't even fucking know!"

"And that's such a fucking problem for you?! It's my choice! It's my body, and you don't get to have an opinion on what I decide to do with it! I chose to do it, and whether me and him get along or not, it's still a baby. I fucking hate him, but if he thinks that keeping me here is gonna help him ensure my safety, I won't argue with it. Hell, I can't change his mind so why argue."

"You sound fucking crazy." he says.

"Let me sound crazy. Goodbye Jacob. I don't wanna talk to you again."

I hang up the phone, angry at his words. I completely understand where he's coming from, but this is still a baby. Whether or not it's with a man I don't know or even with Jacob like he wants it to be, it's still my responsibility.

I have to keep this baby healthy and as much as I hate it I'll have to do it alone. I don't need anybody's approval. I can do this with or without anyone's help.

Or at least, I hope I can.