38

Karter Cruise

I run towards the dim light and there's a room and closer to the corner I see Cal with his arms around Daniella's throat, squeezing the life out of her.

"Drop her, Cal!" I yell.

"You take another step and her head is gonna paint the wall." he says pulling a gun from his pocket.

Daniella looks tired and beaten. The thought of someone putting their hands on her angers me more. I pull the trigger and he grunts holding his arm, panting and immediately drops her. Her feet hit the floor then the rest of her body follows. I look further in the corner where there's blood and I look at the state she's in. Her mouth is bloody, her wrists are bleeding and her shirt is covered in blood.

And there's a bruise on her ankle. Her shirt is lifted that shows her underwear that look like they were being pulled on.

"Did you fucking rape her?" I say, my heart aching.

"She wouldn't have given herself to me if I asked."

"You motherfucker." I say flatly.

I put another bullet in him, right in his hand and he yells. Charging toward him, I punch him in his face, beating him til I ear bones cracking in his face. While above him, my legs on either side of him, I swing the butt of my gun into his face. I pull a blade from my belt.

"You're gonna suffer before you leave this world." I say, stabbing him in his neck.

I stab him repeatedly, over and over again anywhere I can. My hand is aching but I continue. The knife finally breaks because of the force being used and I throw the handle to the other side of the room. I look around to find something to break the chains but instead I find the keys. I run to grab them and I take the cuffs off, rubbing her wrists with my thumbs.

Cal lies there gasping for air and for some reason, the rage in me builds up again. So much so that my hands start shaking.

Fuck I've gotta get out of here.

I pick Daniella's limp body up and I get out of there as quick as I can. I get in the backseat with her and I rub her head, smoothing her hair back away from her face. Seeing her like this is hard. My heart feels like it's tearing apart.

Carson speeds off and I tend to her still, waiting for her to wake up, and she does. She slowly blinks her eyes open and she jumps and panics for a second, then she realizes that it's me.

"Oh my God." she says, her voice breaking and barely there. Her eyes well up with tears as she hugs me, fisting my shirt in her hand.

I hold her head to my shoulder as tears fall from my eyes for the first time ever since I can remember.

"It was so bad." she cries.

"You're okay now. I swear, you'll never leave my side again."

I pull her closer, holding her warm body in mine.

*******

Daniella Carlisle

Back home, Karter carries me to our room and lies me in our bed. I know it's only been hours but I miss being in bed. I'm exhausted. He runs my bath water and suddenly I'm being woken up after unknowingly falling asleep.