14

We take showers and get dressed up, brushing teeth and hair. Daniella stands in the mirror, doing her facial routine when she asks me to curl her hair. I pick up her curling wand and help her, curling pieces of her hair and putting curling rolls in her hair to hold them until she's done.

"Thanks babe." she says, poking her lips out while looking in the mirror, kissing me and returning to her task. She takes down her curls when she's finished and brushes them out a little, then she puts her lip balm on as I dry my hair with a brush blow dryer.

When I'm finished, my hair falls in feathery layers, so I run my fingers through my hair a couple of times until it looks how I want it to, then I wait for Daniella to get ready, passing the little bit of time by scrolling through emails.

"Babe? You ready to go?"

"Yeah." I say looking up from my phone. She walks towards me and stops in front of me.

"Do I look okay?". I lean in to peck her lips.

"Beautiful. You smell good."

"Thank you, Karter."

She grabs my hand and I lead her downstairs and to the foyer. "You need anything before we go?"

"Can you get my little thing of chewy cookies and water please?"

"Sure, love."

I run into the kitchen and grab 2 bottles of water and extra cookies and I come back and grab my keys from the dish beside the door, letting Daniella out before me and locking the door before I close it behind me. I walk a little ways beside the door and open a little box attached to the house, revealing a keypad. I type in the password and I hear whirring, letting me know security is good.

I walk to the car and get in, putting her waters in the cup holders and handing her her cookies. She smiles and kisses me with a "Thank you baby." before she pulls a cookie out. "So what's going on? Where are we going?" she asks as I pull out onto the road.

"I've got business to handle. It's starting."

"People are figuring out?"

"That I have a baby and a future wife coming."

"So they're after us?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Lucky for you though, you're tangled up with Karter Cruise. Nobody fucks with me unless they're looking for things to go my way or their big ass egos need to be popped."

"Huh. So you're really the coldest out there, huh?"

"You bet your sweet ass I am." I say with a grin.

"Okay." she says, laughing.

We arrive at my base where all the guns, shipments, training, basically where the whole deal happens.

I walk past the front desk, Karla sitting there.

"Welcome back, sir." she says.

"Thanks for holding it down, Karla."

"Always happy to help, sir."

"It's busy here." Daniella says chiming in, trying to keep up with me as we walk.

"This isn't even the worst part. Stay right by me okay? I don't want you getting lost."

"You can get lost in here?"

"Yes, and I don't want you walking into things you aren't ready for."

"Like what?"

"The torture chambers."

"Yeesh. I regret asking."

I walk up a spiraling staircase, letting Daniella walk in front and when we reach the top floor, I open the doors to my office with voice recognition.

"KC." I say into the pad. Locks click and the automatic door opens, revealing the dark-themed room that is my office. "Have a seat."

"Gladly." she says, sitting down on a couch, catching her breath, rubbing her belly. "He isn't but so big and he's taking all my breath away." she says, looking down at her bump with a smile.

"He'll be here soon. It's only a matter of time."

"Yeah..."

I pick up my phone to call Carson. It rings for a minute before he answers.

"You almost here?"

"I'm pulling up now."

"Good.". I hang up and sit in my chair, running over some paperwork that needs to be done, then I answer a few voicemails, calling people back and writing things down as I speak. "Yes... Yeah, the Valemonts owed me last week, I gave him three months and a warning." I say, tapping my pen on my desk. "Yeah... Yeah. Alright, call me when it's done. Thanks.". I put my phone down on the machine, ending the call as I write down a few things. My eyebrows are scrunched together as I say things quietly to myself. Then I feel Daniella's presence in front of me.

"You okay?" she asks. "You look a little stressed."

"Mhm. Just doing some... accounting. Something's not right."

"Well what is it?"

"My money's not in the right place. Something's missing."

"I mean, you told me the Valemonts owed you a lot of money, maybe that's what it is."

"My men are already handling that. There's something else.". I think for a minute before it clicks. "Shipments.". I look at my scheduled shipments and I notice one of them didn't get shipped. I slide back to my desk phone and call Karla.

"Yes sir?" she says, picking up instantly.

"Have you heard anything about that shipment that was supposed to be here days ago?"

"No sir, but I can check the status of it."

"Do that for me.". There's silence and tapping on the other end before she speaks again. Then Carson walks in.

"Sir, it got held up. It isn't coming."

"The hell do you mean it's not coming?"

"It looks like it stopped before it got to the docks."

"It's them. Goddamn it!". I slam my desk phone back on the hook as my fists hit the desk, making Daniella jump.

"KC, what is it?"

"They took my fucking money."

"Shit, we've gotta get moving."

"What do we know about this person other than they're a pain in the ass."

"Okay so I did some computering and I got an identity on the guy that's coming for her. Look."

"Is that..."

"Hell yeah it's him."

"Lucas, you motherfucker."

"And his brother, Carlos Reyaz."

"Well, now we know what we need to do."

"So let's get it done."