19

It's around five-thirty in the evening and Karter's getting ready to head out for his mission. He's pulls out this... bulletproof vest looking thing and places it on the bed, putting on a tight, black dress shirt, leaving the last three unbuttoned at the top. He slides his shoes on and fixes his hair, straightening his watch when he's finished.

I watch him as I have been since he started getting ready, as he walks to me and leans down, kissing me.

"Mm, you smell good too." I say with a smile.

Then the doorbell rings. He takes my hands and helps me off the bed, and we head downstairs, him carrying the vest with him, placing it on the fancy couch in the foyer. I go to open the door and I step back as I open the door to reveal who it is.

"Baby, who is it?" Karter says as he walks up behind me.

"Baby?" Jacob says at the door.

I can feel Karter's mood change, which makes me shift uncomfortably.

"You're early. I see you were giddy about coming over." Karter says, sarcastically.

"Karter, please." I say, looking back at him, pleading. I turn back to look at Jacob. "Long time, no see." I say.

"Obviously." he says, looking down at my stomach.

"Okay, are you two gonna keep being weird or..."

"Daniella, you know what he did." Jacob says.

"Hell, you tried something, don't act innocent."

"You basically kidnapped her!"

"I didn't-"

"Shut up!" I yell at them. "Please, I can't take all the yelling, stop it. I get this is weird for you Karter, and I know how you feel about this whole situation but you two are not gonna sit here and argue like fucking... children about it!"

"Look. All I'm telling you right now Jacob... I'm letting you enter my home. If you dare disrespect me or Daniella under my fucking roof, I'll... there will be consequences. You can bet your life on that."

"Whatever." Jacob says.

"Get in here." I say, still annoyed. He comes in, looking at the big house of Karter's. He leans in and whispers to me.

"What exactly does he do?"

"Runs a very wealthy business." I say, refraining from saying anything else.

"Way to give me all the details."

"There's nothing left to say. That's what he does."

"So, there's the kitchen, there's the living room, and the guest bathroom is down that hall." Karter says.

"That's it?" Jacob asks.

"Why should you have to know where anything else is?" Karter asks. I grip his hand and he looks down, giving me a concerned look. I don't think Karter's really wrong for how he's acting. I understand.

"It's five-forty-nine." Carson says, coming up behind Karter. "Who's he?"

"The babysitter for tonight." Jacob says, trying to be funny. Carson walks away and Karter does the same with my hand in his. Jacob trails behind me as we walk back to the foyer. Karter hands Carson the vest while Jacob isn't looking.

"I'll be in the car." he says, then walks out leaving me, Karter and Jacob. Karter turns to me and rakes his fingers through my hair, holding the sides of my head.

"I'll be back soon okay?". He comes in close and whispers. "If he does anything... anything to make you feel uncomfortable, let me know okay? Doesn't matter when." he says, his brows knit together.