8

Daniella Carlisle

~

It's been about two and a half months since Karter started acting... weird. Sometimes he'll smile a little at me, or he might ask me how i'm doing. It's just not like him. And yes, it's new but it's better than arguing everytime I see his stupid face.

Anyways, I have an appointment today to find out the gender of the baby, and I can't help but be excited. Carson's the only one here. Karter had to leave for a business trip a month ago and he hasn't been back. He's only called once but... I guess I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, I mean it's a business trip. He's probably busy.

"Carson!" I yell from my bathroom.

"You ready?" he replies back.

"Yeah." I say. I walk down the stairs and I grab a bottle of apple juice. "Come on, we gotta go. You and your brother both like to be late when I rush." I say.

"Okay, okay. C'mon."

We walk out and as soon as we lock the doors to the house, a loud engine revs and Karter comes speeding into the car lot, coming to a complete stop in front of us. A smile spreads across my face as he gets out of the car.

"You're late." I say with a smile.

"I made it."

"I didn't think..."

"I'm here, aren't I?" he says, a small smile painted onto his face.

I walk up to him and I go to give him a hug but I stop, trying to figure out how to do this. I just stand in front of him with a smile. "Thank you for showing up."

"Let's go. We have twenty minutes to be there."

"Right. Thank you Carson." I say.

"No problem." he says getting into his car to start it and pull off.

I get into the car and he drives to the office. We get out and walk in, signing in and waiting. They call us back and Kayla appears.

"Hey Daniella. How are you feeling today?"

"Better. Just taking it one day at a time."

"That's good. Hey, are we excited to find out the gender?"

"Very." I say. I look over to Karter and he's swiping away on his phone.

What is he doing? I thought he... Whatever. He's probably trying to hold things down where he left from.

"Alright let's get started.". She squirts jelly onto my stomach and spreads it around my small bump and tries to locate the baby.

"Baby's playing hide-and-seek." she says giggling.

"Where are you honey?" I say with a smile.

After a few moments she finds baby and she steadies the sonogram. She locates all it's body parts and tinkers with things before a thudding noise starts.

It's the heartbeat.

My heart skips a beat as I hear my baby's heart pounding. It's sounds so... unreal. I know I'm pregnant but... I just can't believe that I actually am. "Oh my gosh." I say tearing up, lining my fingertips up with the bridge of my nose. "It still gets me when I hear it." I say with a small laugh in between tears.

"It's normal, hun. Be emotional. This is just one of the best things about pregnancy. It's exciting. Alright. Let's find out what baby is."

She does some tinkering with the keyboard and mouse, moving the transducer around some. After a bit of adjusting, she turns to me with a smile.

"It's a boy!" she says with a smile.

I turn to Karter, smiling from ear to ear just to see him scrolling and typing things.

"Karter it... it's a boy." I say, my smile fading.

He looks up to me and gives me a smile, returning to his phone screen. My chest caves in and I almost feel like crying. I turn to Kayla, putting a fake smile on my face to hide my sadness. "Thank you so much, but can we... just-can we finish this up?" I ask, stuttering on the verge of tears.

We finish the ultrasound and I take the pictures and grab my things, walking out of the door. We walk out of the building and I walk to the car, slamming the door when I get in. Karter looks up and speed-walks to the car. He shuts the door and puts his fingers over his lips, rubbing them downward before he turns to speak.

"What the hell is your problem?"

"What the fuck is your problem, huh? You show up unannounced to come to my appointment, and when I actually thought you cared about me and your baby you pull stupid shit like this. You weren't even listening or paying attention to anything that happened. You can't even tell me the sex of your damn baby."

He looks defeated, staying silent. I scoff.

"That... that's exactly what I pictured you'd do." I sit back in my seatbelt, folding my arms across my chest.

The whole car is filled with an ear-piercing silence as we make the drive back to the house. When we pull up he takes his seatbelt off and gets ready to get out of the car. I take my seatbelt off and sit for a second before I speak.

"You're so fucked up Karter." I say, and then I step out of the car and shut the door, walking to the house. "Fucking self-centered..." I mumble, walking quickly to the door.

I think about knocking on the door but I remember that Carson left when we did and probably won't be back til' early in the morning.

I stand, pissed off at how slowly he's getting to the door and I wait for him to unlock it. When he does, I forcefully push the door open, walking up the stairs to my room. I shut my door and my eyes well up with tears as I begin to cry.

~

Karter Cruise

~

Her door slams and I sigh, throwing my keys in the dish at the door. I take my shoes off and unbutton the black shirt I threw on, walking to the kitchen.

I find a shot glass and I just forget about it, drinking straight from the bottle. I know I fucked up. What frustrates me the most is the fact that she doesn't know why I'm as busy as I am. She doesn't know what I do. Hell, she still believes I'm a wealthy businessman even though I carry a gun everywhere I go. Then again, her oblivious mind would think it's just protection.

That still doesn't make up for the fact that I've been completely dismissive about everything. Dismissive and inattentive.

I've been acting careless about her and this situation and I know I have to stop. I don't even know why I'm saying all this to myself. Since when have I ever cared about a woman so much? Much less, her. But then again, she's different. She actually cares about bettering our relationship. She actually cares about this baby.

I can't be the only one not willing to make this work. I see that now.

I have to find some way to apologize to her.