7

We arrive at my club, Burlesque, and I open the doors, the music blasting. The walls of the inside are soundproof so it doesn't sound like much from the outside. Anything at all actually. The club gets even louder when they see the Cruise brothers walking through. I walk past the bar, grabbing the bottle of liquor and I look at it.

"Give me the Spirytus, Mitch."

"Shit, boss. Guess it's just one of those nights then."

He passes me the clear bottle filled with liquor and I pour a shot, throwing it back. I stumble a little, the liquor catching me off guard, and I smile, taking the bottle with me. I walk through VIP, watching the strippers grind on and fuck the men there as they tuck bills in their thongs. Carson closes the velvet rope behind us and I walk to the elevator, putting my fingerprint onto the pad, opening the doors to step in.

The door opens and my office stands there, neatly. Papers are stacked perfectly on both sides of my desk, the view of the city is amazing, and everything looks exactly how I left it. I walk to sit at my desk and I see the paperwork I left there. I finish filling it out and start on more before I get a call.

"Yeah." I say putting my desk phone on speaker.

"They're waiting."

"I'm ready for them. Send them up." I say.

After a few short minutes, I hear a knock at the door. I pour another shot and I shoot it back, preparing for the meeting. Carson lets them in and stands guard at the door.

"Ah, Karter. Mr Cruise. How are ya?"

"Cut the bullshit, Monty." I say. "Get to the point."

"That's no way to greet your dad's old best friend."

"Monty I don't give a shit what you were to him. He's dead. There's only me."

"I was still part of his life."

"Well that doesn't matter now that he's not alive anymore. What do you want."

"I just need... A loan." he says. "Our family has been struggling."

"Yeah? Is it because every time you use someone's mafia for protection, guns, or money you never pay it back?"

"Karter, come onnn. I was your d-"

"Don't fucking... use that against me. You know what he meant to me. Looking back on the records he held, it looks like you fucked him over. I won't let you make the mistake of screwing me over too. This isn't his mafia anymore, it's mine. Don't say it's what he would have wanted because my father wasn't a kind-hearted man. If anything he would have wanted me to kill anyone who I even felt was gonna fuck me over. You were never his friend because you stole from him."

"I wouldn't do that, Karter. Not to you."

"But to my father." I say angrily, getting up. I hear a gun cock. My head turns slowly in the direction the sound came from. Carson is quicker and already has his gun pointed to his chest. I walk slowly to Monty as I slip my gun from it's holster. "You gonna pay up Monty? My money and the money you owe this mafia?" I say sneering.

"B-but we don't... We don't have any to give." he says.

"It's not a fucking gift, it's what you owe. If you can't get me my money, your wife will be the only one left to take care of your family."

"Please! My boys, they need me. They're going off to college, they need my support, I-I... I can't-"

"Then I suggest you pull that money out of your ass. I've got a family to take care of."

"Please! I'll do anything!" he says.

"Give me... my money. I'm giving you 3 months to give me my 2 million. You're lucky I'm being at least a little generous. You and your buddies would've been all over my walls if I wasn't."

"Thank you Mr Cruise. Thank you." he says.

"Get the hell out of my face." I command. He scurries backwards and hurries out of the door. I take the bottle and sip from it, sighing as it burns the hell out of my throat.

"Getting an old ass man to cower at your feet? Today must've triggered something in you. Even I was a little scared."

"Piss off." I say.

"So..." Carson says as I finish up some paperwork. "Have you told her?"

"No. Not yet. Today was the only day we were able to not argue so maybe I'll have more time in the future to break it to her."

"You know she's gonna be pissed, right?"

"No shit Carson, it's an arranged marriage. Of course she's gonna be pissed."

"Mm... Well, I'll meet you back at the house. And stop all that drinking, you need to get home."

"Fine, alright." I say giving him the bottle.

"See you."

"Mhm." I hum. I grab my phone out and call Daniella. I don't know why but I... want to make sure she's not sneaking off somewhere. I don't care about her. I just... I'm making sure.

"Karter?" she says.

"Where are you."

"I'm in my room."

"Carson's on his way back so if you're doing something you're not supposed to, I suggest you wrap it up."

"I'm not doing anything smartass, I'm just sitting in the house. You don't want me anywhere else." she says.

Why did that make me feel... bad? Somehow?

"I just feel that that's the best way for me to make sure you and the baby are protected. I can't afford... something happening to... it."

"Well you're not really helping the cause if you're not gonna let me actually have a life and help me not to be so stressed. Arguing causes that. I just want it to stop."

"I'm... working on it.". I can just sense a smile on her face.

"I appreciate that. And yes, I know it takes two to grow in... whatever we have going on... I'm working on myself too." she says.

We sit in a lingering silence until I clear my throat. "Uh, I have to um... finish attending this meeting. I'll be back soon."

"Okay." she says.

She hangs up and I sit back at my desk, thinking. Who the hell am I right now? What's so special about her that I've actually... No I haven't. She's... I don't care about her. I just want my child. Then she can go on about her way with Jacob. That's who she loves anyway. She can't love me. I'm in a mafia for Christ sake.

If that were something she knew... if she isn't stupid she'll run away while she can before it's too late. Then you're in it for life.