18

Daniella Carlisle

~

Later on that night after leaving Karter's office, I go upstairs to the bedroom. I sit in bed scrolling through apps on TV before opening Hulu to watch a TV show, feeling the baby kick every now and then. I sit there from six-thirty to maybe nine o'clock at night. Then Karter walks in the room, sighing as his fingers run through his hair.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, watching him walk to the bathroom.

"Just thinking." he says blankly.

I watch him walk into the walk in showers, and he turns the water on, stripping and cleaning himself. After about ten minutes, he turns the shower off and grabs his towel. He doesn't bother looking for any briefs. Instead, he just puts some lotion and deodorant on and slides into bed with me.

"Are you sure you're okay? Your body looks really tense. Do you wanna talk to me about something?" I say, turning the TV off and setting my phone down on my nightstand. I slide under the covers and he instantly wraps me up in his arms.

"For the first time, I'm letting someone... I'm letting someone put fear... in me."

"What do you mean?"

"You remember a couple nights ago, I told you I had a feeling that this whole thing is bigger than it seems?"

"It's true?"

He gives me a look that says it all. He sighs, kissing my forehead, stroking my head as it lies under his chin.

"I found something at the base that I can use to get closer to exposing who this man, or maybe even organization is. The name 'Viper' and a silver cufflink with a snake coiled around an 'M'."

"Do you have any idea who it could be?"

"No fucking clue." he says with a frustrated sigh.

"You figure it out baby." I say, my thumb stroking his jawline. "Whatever it is, you'll find out. We just need to have some patience. Everything will work out in the end."

"I just... I don't know who he is, where he is... I just hope I can fix this before he comes. It'll be too dangerous with this guy out and my child exposed to him.".

As he's looking off thinking, he stops rubbing my head and there's a look of... something I can't name on his face.

"What is it baby? Are you okay?"

"I have to go to my office." he says, getting up and sliding on a pair of briefs, heading for the door.

"Babe, wait." I say, trying to move as fast as I can to go after him. He's a long ways down the stairs while I'm struggling to keep up with him.

I huff and puff as I step from the last step and I walk to his office. By the time I'm there, he's going through his files. Going by the dates, they're really old. He pulls out a file that has the date 'December 31st, 1998' written on the flap.

He looks at it, almost in fear of opening it.

"Babe?..." I ask, fear apparent in my tone.