30

Later that day, I helped Lindsey get her bags inside. We got her a nice room on the second floor a little ways down the hall from our room so whatever commotion me and Daniella or Carson and Valarie make won't disturb her. Plus the baby's room being by ours, we definitely don't want her to be up whenever we're up with Kai, especially at early hours of the morning.

I help her get settled as Daniella nurses the baby and cleans up around the house. After getting her settled, I excuse myself to join her, cleaning up in the living room, the small dining area within the kitchen and the kitchen itself.

I've been getting calls about the whole situation with shipments and it sounds like they're close to figuring out who's behind it.

"Does it have anything to do with Anthony or Tony?"

"Completely unrelated." I say back to her loud enough for only the both of us to hear.
"They said there's a chance they could be planning an attack."

"Like last time. God, these people are so predictable."

"If it ever comes down to it, I'll move your mother somewhere safe."

"Okay. It's just-I'm worried about us as a whole."

"There's always gonna be worry. You're the one who told me that. Just trust that I'll protect us."

"I know you will, baby." she says turning around to face me. "It's just... I don't know what's gonna happen if my mother gets exposed to it. Or even worse, something happens to Kaiser. He's only a baby, I-"

"You won't put him in the way of any danger, right?"

"No, of course not."

"And what have I told you before?"

"That you'll kill anyone who threatens his life and our safety."

"There you go. We love him, more than enough to protect him from anything. He's got his uncle and the whole mafia on his side, baby. He'll be perfectly fine."

"I know. You know the only thing I do is worry. I'm sorry, I just can't help it."

"I understand." I say kissing her forehead.

Then my phone starts to ring.

"Who's that?"

"Ramon."

"What does he want?"

"Let me see. Yeah."

"Karter, there's a business dinner tonight."

"Fucking hell, why am I hearing about this just now Ramon?"

"I've been busy making reservations and checking on the situation we're facing. I tried to let you know as soon as I could."

"Fuck.... Now I have to rush. You know how I am about being on time for shit like this."

"I know, son. I apologize. Also..."

"There's more?"

"...they want you to bring your 'wife'."

"Damn it. I never brought her a ring."

"You don't have to, son. I talked to them, they aren't aware of anything."

"Thanks Ramon. Is there a theme?"

"Just dress to impress. They're coming to see you. You're the biggest and the baddest, you've got the most power than all the other mafias combined. Even if there was a theme, fuck it. They can't tell you anything."

"Fucking right, Ramon."

"The dinner's at eight PM so do all the shopping you need to."

"We've gotta bring Kaiser."