5

The next morning, my alarm goes off and I groan, slapping my phone to stop it. When I realize it's not stopping, I get up frustratingly and tap the 'Stop' button and the sound ceases.

I drowsily get up, checking the time. It's 8 in the morning.

"Fuck." I say. I walk to the bathroom slowly and I brush my teeth and wash my face. I take a shower and get dressed, then I go to do my hair and light makeup.

I walk downstairs to eat some cereal, and I look around noticing the silence, and I start to wonder where Karter is.

"Karter?" I call out. He doesn't answer. "Karter? It's eight forty-five, we have to be there by nine!" I yell louder. No answer.

Then I see him walking down the stairs looking into his phone.

"Ready before you? That's surprising." I say.

"It's 'cause I'm not that interested in coming."

"That's just fucking rude." I say, anger starting to surface. "You could've kept that shit to yourself." I say as I grab a water out of the fridge, slamming it as I storm out of the house.

"Damn it woman, be gentle with the damn appliances!"

"Fuck you Karter." I say loud enough for him to hear.

"Never in a lifetime." he says back.

I groan and roll my eyes.

I get in the car and I wait for Karter to get in. He gets in the car and starts the drive to the doctor's office.

We arrive ten minutes late, and as soon as we walk in, a nurse comes out.

"Daniella Carlisle?"

"That's me." I say waving my hand a little.

We walk back into a room and I sit on the bed, waiting for a nurse to come in. I look to Karter and just seeing him scroll on his phone texting irritates the hell out of me and makes me angry. A young-looking nurse that looks around my age walks in with a beaming smile.

"Hello Ms Carlisle. Mr Cruise. How are we doing? Can you tell me anything you've been feeling lately?"

"I started feeling nauseous a few weeks ago, but it's been getting increasingly worse. I throw up so much and morning sickness goes throughout the entire day. Other than that I've been having very painful headaches and... I guess if it's important, I've been starting to develop cravings and things."

"Mm... O...kay." she drags out, jotting things down. "So right off the top, morning sickness throughout the day can sometimes be a normal thing with some women during pregnancy. How often do you feel that way?"

"All day, every day." I say.

"Well, I'd say that's common among most women, but that and headaches sound like there's stress mixed up in there. That's not good for baby."

I look to Karter and he's just scrolling away.

"I have been stressed. I think it's just about baby and if I'm really doing a good job." I say lying and telling the truth at the same time. "I mean, I know it's too early but-"

"It's never too early Ms Carlisle. Many mothers, even when they've just found out worry about being a good mother. We are strong. You are strong. It'll be worse at the end, but the gift is always worth it. You'll find that out soon enough."

"Thank you." I say, tears forming in my eyes for some reason. "I'm sorry." I say giggling and sniffling at the same time. "I just-I needed to hear that." I say.

"It's okay. Everyone just needs a pep talk to get them through difficult things." she says with a warm smile.

She continues on and checks my blood pressure, height, weight, basically a whole wellness check to make sure me and the baby are good, and as she's finishing she smiles as she talks to me.

"You're doing so well with the baby. I just need you to stop stressing so you and the baby's health will stay well, and you'll have a healthy baby, a beautiful delivery, and you'll be a healthy mama."

"Okay. I'll try." I say with a smile. "Thank you."

"If you ever need anything, here's my number."

I take it and I get up with Karter to leave.

"Same time next month, okay?" she says.

"Alright Dr Smith." I say.

"It's Kayla."

I give her a small smile before walking out, heading back to Karter's. While in the car, I look to Karter, thinking about saying something, but I forget about it and look ahead at the road in front of me.

"What." he asks.

"Huh? Nothing."

"Something. I can practically hear you thinking and I can't focus."

"When have you ever cared?" I ask.

"Fine. I won't." he says frustrated.

I sit back at look out my window as we sit in silence. It goes on for a minute before I break it.

"Were you listening to anything the doctor said to me?"

He sits in silence. I clear my throat to get him out of whatever trance he's in, and he stays silent.

"Damn it." I say to myself as I sit back, annoyed for the rest of the car ride.

As soon as we arrive at the house, I step out of the car, shutting the door and walking to the door. I knock on the door and wait for someone to come but nobody does. I bang on the door a couple times and a few seconds after Carson comes to the door. I walk straight past him and walk upstairs.

"What did you do Karter?" he says.

I walk upstairs and I slam my room door. I hear Karter yell.

"Damn it, Daniella!"

I take my clothes off and I get in the shower, the bathroom being conjoined with the room. I walk into the shower and slide the glass door closed and I take a soothing, hot shower. I wash my hair, washing away my thoughts with it, and I lather my body in soap, washing myself off along with the stress of the day.

I get out and put on a silk set of nightwear, wearing a soft robe on top of it. Then I head downstairs.

Author's Note

~

i'm sorry this chapter was a little short, but i'm just getting so excited for the story to progress & for things to start to unfold. i just wanna ask you guys how you're feeling about the characters & what you do & don't like about them or the story. i take consideration for all criticism and advice . if there is any hate however or you just don't like my book, it may not be for you <3 .