36

"to those of you who stayed, thank you<3"
-sincerely, your author

We all sit around, enjoying each other's company, conversing amongst each other, chattering about different things.

I'm still thinking about the incident that occurred earlier, still somewhat paranoid. Not scared. Paranoid.

Daniella knows what to do when times are like this. I've never noticed, but every time she caresses me, or runs her fingers through my scalp, the stress just goes away. It's utterly pleasing and very abnormal. Nothing about her is ordinary. She's this marvel of a woman, I can't explain any of it.

A while later, Kaiser's up in his room asleep, and Valarie's asleep in her and Carson's. He's down in his lab working on finding anything about the anonymous sender, Lindsey is shopping for groceries, and Daniella's napping on the couch beside me.

I caress her hip as she sleeps, her feet resting in my lap. Thinking about the heart still, I pick up my phone and dial Ramon's number.

"Karter."

"Ramon, I'm in a situation."

"I know, we're finding things little by little. I know you're very impatient when it comes to protecting, but this can't be sped up much more. We're using every resource we have."

"And what makes it even worse is that Daniella's mother knows."

"What?!"

"There has to be something you can do, Ramon. Anything."

"I'm sorry son but at this moment, there's nothing we can do."

"Damn it... Okay, Pop."

"Until we find who this is, just protect yourself and your family."

"Yeah, okay."

I hang up, sighing. I look over to Daniella, cursing under my breath. I ease out of the chair and before I walk away, Daniella grabs all of my attention with a small hum.

"What's wrong, love?"

"Where are you going?" she whispers softly.

"Nowhere, I'll still be here. Just taking a trip across the room. Sleep, Dani."

"Hmm..." she hums, dozing off.

I walk to the counter, placing both hands on the surface with a sigh. I look over to the box with the note on top of it, and I exhale through my nose, walking up to it and taking the paper in my hand. I read over it again, searching and scavenging for anything I may have missed. For any clues. Then something comes to me.

I walk to Carson's lab and I open his door, where I find him looking through files and sites on his computer.

"Hey, KC."

"Hey, do you have any gloves?"

"You know I always keep them back there." he says pointing.

"Thanks."

"What're you doing anyways?"

"Looking for something."

"Mm..."

I walk back out and I grab the box from the counter, then I walk back into his lab, sitting the box down and opening it.

"God, I'm gonna regret this."

Carson turns around and his eyes go wide.

"KC, what are you doing?"

"Seeing if there's something I missed."