Chapter Fourteen

Aspen

Today, is Thursday and I've decided to return to work. I'm kinda excited, but I feel bad because Jenn would not stop telling me that the nurse she had fill in for me was slow and wasn't as fun to work with. The woman was always in a pissy mood and never tried to actually talk to the patient's.

Jenn kept having to tell her to lose her attitude, but the woman wasn't even trying to put in the effort. Honestly, if you don't like working with patients, then don't become a nurse. The patience is already having a hard time being there for a visit due to being unwell. They don't need sour nurses making the visit that much worse.

I walked into the building and took the elevator up to our floor. It wasn't just Jenn and I taking care of all these patients obviously. We had help. We had a receptionist that helped the patients check in and out, we had a philobotomist to draw blood work for labs, and we had a janitor and house keeper. They cleaned up the rooms after ever patient and made sure the office was kept clean. We were all thankful for them. Obviously we have the same staff any other doctors office had.

I stepped off the elevator and spoke to Marsha. She is the receptionist I mentioned. She's a kind and old lady that loves her job. If you asked her what was the one thing she hates about this job, she would tell you she only hates seeing patients sick without being able to help them. She is a sweet heart.
She welcomed me back, then scolded me for taking off for so long and leaving them with the sour nurse. I apologized obviously and she happily accepted it.

I walked into the staff room to put my personal items in my locker, then put my phone on silent. I clocked in, then grabbed my seat at the nurses station where we put in all the papers for patients to fill out. We also had to keep all the patients charts up to date along with their information.

Jenn came out followed by an elderly man and woman. Her eyes lit up when she seen me, but my eyes were on the elder couple. Even at their age they were still so in love. I know that for a fact from the way he looks at her and the way she still smiles at him when he isn't looking.

"Good morning, Dr. Wade. Who do we have here?"
"Ahh Mr and Mrs Nelson. This is nurse Boone. She just got back from being sick." She said with a smile as she introduced us.

She handed me their charts and I thought it was sweet that they scheduled an appointment together. He came in for a check up and she came in for a post hip surgery check up. I just have this feeling he made the appointment so that she didn't feel like a bother to him.

"Hello. Would you guys like to go ahead and schedule your follow up appointment, Mrs. Nelson? I see here that Dr. Wade made a note that she would love to see you again in a month."
"That would be lovely." She smiled out as her husband wrapped her in a hug.
"I have Tuesday, March the 20th available. If that date works for you I can read of the available times."
"That day will be just fine. What time's do you have open?" She asked while pulling her small calendar book out of her purse.

I smiled, then thought of how easier it would be for her than putting it in her phone.

"I have a 9:15, a 12:30, and a 3:00 open."

She turned to her husband who just told her it didn't matter to him. He was looking a little pale and it was really starting to worry me. I pulled my phone out and quickly sent a text to Jenn as she talked to her husband about which time she wanted before turning to me to repeat it.

"I'll do the 12:30 appointment." She smiled.
"Perfect. You're all set. Mr. Nelson, would you like to schedule a follow up. You don't have to."

He smiled at me and politely declined so I got his papers ready next to hers. As soon as Jenn came around the corner Mr. Nelson fell to the ground. I jumped out of my chair and ran around the nurses station to Jenn side. Mrs. Nelson started crying loudly which led one of the house keeper's names Terry to rush out of the room he was cleaning up.