2012 Donatello x Reader

(You are away at school, studying to be a veterinarian, you had always been interested in learning about animals; but the best school to learn that was almost four hours away.)

---

"Hey D." you greeted over the phone as you arrived at your dorm, "Hey (Y/N), how was class?" You sighed audibly, "Mrs. Thompson gave me homework over three chapters, again." "That sucks, but hey. I know you can do it." 

You smiled as you laid on your bed, on your belly, "I miss you, D." 

Donnie smiled back, he really, really missed you. Hearing that you missed him back, made his heart flutter; more than you could know. "Us too." 

He wasn't lying either, his brothers didn't seem like themselves after your disappearance, even Raph seemed less violent. 

"Yeah, I miss them too; but I wasn't talking about them D." You replied, swinging your legs back and forth. You had no idea, but he was getting so excited.

"I miss talking to you, hang out in your lab or when you'd hang out at my apartment even when you were supposed to be on patrol." You smiled even brighter, "Do you remember that?" 

"Of course I do!" He smiled, laughing softly, "You'd have to fend off Leo for me." You giggled, "You do remember!"

"How could I forget spending time with you?! You were like my best friend!"

You cringed, was that all you were to him? Spending time away from him made you realize that you were totally in love with him. Yes, he did need a friend, after all he's been through with April. But was that your role to fill? Yes, it had been your role for a long time, but....

You didn't know, but he felt different. It didn't take him long to fall in love again, you were beautiful, inside and out. You had the prettiest eyes, the prettiest smile, the prettiest hair, and not to mention that you had a personality too. You had your arms wide open, Donnie felt safe, loved, appreciated, while he was in your arms; not to mention, when he was stressing too much, you'd take him outside to look at the stars, sitting on a rooftop near the sewers. In all honesty, he was scared, what if you didn't feel the same? He just wanted a relationship with you, and if he had to remain friends; so be it. 

"(Y/N)?" His smile faltered when you didn't respond, "Umm... oh yeah. Sorry." you shook your head to get out of your own thoughts, "(Y/N)? Are you okay?" he asked, getting more concerned, "Yeah, yeah, just distracted with... um.... school." You told him, lying through your teeth. 

He knew you better than that though, "(Y/N)..." He got that tone of voice that told you that he wanted you to tell him the truth, "What? That really is the truth!" You jolted up, trying to use something to distract him.

You grabbed your textbook, "I was just reading this." You opened the book and slammed it shut, making sure to pick up that noise with your phone.

"We made a promise before, no more lying about how we feel. That goes for you, you know." He softly reminded you, "I know, I know, but I'm not lying." 

"(Y/N)." He was a bit irritated with you, hurt with why you wouldn't just tell him. Did you not trust him?

You sighed, "Are we friends Don?" 

He was slightly taken aback, wasn't that clear? "Yeah, we're friends. Did I do something to make you forget that?"

"No! No! No!" you frantically replied, then sighed again as your voice got lower, "Are we just friends D?"

Oh that dreaded question, he only wanted to say the right things to keep you in his life, "I... don't.... know..." He facepalmed, oh my god, he can't believe that he just said that.

"You don't know? I'm sorry, I don't understand..." you cocked your head slightly to its side.

"(Y/N), I-" he froze, trying to tell you everything that you wanted to hear. But, if you taught him anything it was that he shouldn't be afraid to portray his true feelings

"(Y/N) I- I really love you... You've always been there for me, even if I didn't always you want you to be..." There was silence on the other line; Donnie prepared himself if you didn't feel the same way, but you did.

You smiled brightly, "Do you really mean that?" 

Donnie was surprised, you seemed happy? He smiled to himself, did that mean that you felt the same? "Yeah, of course I do."

You almost squeal out of delight, "Oh D! I'm glad that you feel the same way as me!" 

His smile grew, he was really happy that you felt the same. He wouldn't have to lose you.

"I should be home like December 14th or something." you casually said, your heart still racing.

"Oh?" 

"Yeah! You know that I can't wait to see you again!" You excitedly spout.

"Me neither! I'm already marking the calendar and getting your present ready!"

"Aww, Don. You didn't have to get anything for me."

His eyes jolted open, why'd he say that?! That was meant to be a surprise! "Well, if it makes you feel better, I made it..."

"Aww, that's so sweet!" You smiled brightly

"I hope you like it..."

"Oh Don I like anything you make! I'm sure this won't be different!" You assured.

God, Donnie wish that he could see your smile, it was so warm to him: warm and inviting. It reminded him that everything would be okay.

You sighed, "But, I really have to get studying, so I can come to you. You know?" you flirted, smiling slightly.

"Yeah, yeah.... I'll let you go. Call me before you get to class, ok?" He was a bit flustered.

"K. Bye Don, love you." you said purposely, not leaving the poor boy alone.

This completely broke him, he wasn't used to a girl tell him that she loved him, he was silent, completely awestruck. A big, goofy grin overtook him; he couldn't help it, "I.... love.... you... too." he replied.

(I'm sorry if this is short, but I do not plan to be up. I have to be up in the morning)

- Author out 

(Oh, by the way, that present that he made you was a music box that played your favorite song when you opened it. <3) Mine is Space Song