𝒊𝒙. zugzwang

CHAPTER NINE: ZUGZWANG !

8x12

━━━━━━

        HERE IT WAS, THE SAME RECURRING NIGHTMARE SPENCER REID KEPT HAVING. He was in a black and white suit, standing at an altar and the team had been below them, smiling and giving him a thumbs-up and whatnot.

        Standing in front of him was his beautiful girlfriend, Casey in a wedding dress and Garcia had been their officiator. And then Casey would stop the wedding and leave the altar. He didn't know why he constantly had this dream, he hadn't been thinking about marriage quite yet. And he knew for a fact Casey wasn't thinking about it either.

         He woke up in his own apartment, slightly confused on why Casey's side of the bed was empty. That's weird, she usually stayed the whole night. He had assumed that maybe she had gone back home since Hotch told the team to take the day off.

          With that, he'd decided to get some coffee for the two and go see her at her apartment complex. Once he arrived, he knocked and no one had answered. He knocked and stayed there for a least five minutes and still no one opened the door. He tried the doorknob and the door opened. Casey would never leave her door unlocked like that.

          He opened the door and looked around and what he saw made him slightly freak out. The table had been broken, along with glass from a vase and there was a bit of blood on the floor. A portrait picture of Casey when she graduated from the academy had been broken as well. "Casey?" He called as he looked around the apartment and she was nowhere to be found.

           Spencer's cell began to ring and he picked it up. "Hello." He asked. "Hello. I have a call from..." Suddenly, a computerized voice popped up. "Adam Worth." The operator came back up. "Do you accept the charges?" The voice spooked Spencer. But he didn't hesitate when he answered: "Yes."

        "Go ahead with your call, please." There's a beep while Spencer is slightly panicking. "Hello. I'm still here." The computerized voice comes back and utters a single word: "Zugzwang." Spencer took a pause and breathed. "I'm sorry, can you please repeat that?"

        "Zugzwang." The line disconnects.

Panic rising in him, Spencer urgently called Hotch and told him to meet him in the BAU because he suspected that something had happened to Casey. And little did he know, that was the case.

         Spencer had waited for Hotch to arrive to the BAU and met up with his office. "I got here as quickly as I could. What's wrong?" Hotch told as he walked up the steps. "I think Casey's missing." Hotch's heart dropped as he pulled Reid into his office.