𝒍𝒊𝒗. jean ryleigh

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR: JEAN RYLEIGH !

━━━━━━

JULY 3rd, 1994

        JAMES WILLOWS HAD BEEN PACKING UP HIS PICKUP, THROWING IN HIS FINAL BAG. He hopped into the driver's seat, his six-year-old daughter clutching onto her stuffed giraffe she had named Georgie in the passenger's seat, looking back at their house.

      "Okay, kiddo. You ready to go?" James asked his daughter, looking her way. "Why do we have to go?" Casey questioned, looking towards her dad. "It's so boring down there!"

      "You love Roanoke. And you love spending time with me, don't ya, peanut?" Casey looked at her father, maybe things would be different on this trip. Whenever they went to Roanoke, he actually liked acting like a good father for once. James ruffles his daughter's hair and starts the engine to the pickup. "Come on, it's not that long of a drive."

      "What are we gonna do down there?" Casey asked as they made their way down the street. "We're spending the 4th of July up there. Watching the fireworks at the park with Miss Jean and her kids. You remember them, right?" Casey thought for a moment before shaking her head. She honestly didn't remember. She remembered seeing a woman and two children that Casey used to play with from time to time when her dad took her up to Roanoke.

       "No? Well, we're gonna have fun up there, alright, peanut?" James looked up ahead at the road and Casey looked at her father, carefully. She had noticed his marks on the inside of his arms. The ones from the needles. She had seen him using one time.

      It was from that moment on that she knew she was never gonna do what he did. But she started noticing the slight change in him. His mood had been a lot more better recently, he was always on the phone. She had began to notice that the marks on his arms were beginning to fade. Maybe he could finally be capable of change.

━━━━━━

PRESENT DAY, 2014

      Casey Willows knew it was now or never to come out with the truth. She had been keeping her secret hidden for weeks now. She knew that she had to tell Spencer sometime. She was the one telling him that he needed to talk to her more but here she was — lying to him. She hated doing it, but she was finally gonna break it down for him tonight over dinner. It was news and it was change and she knew that he struggled with change. So she'd be telling him tonight.

        But first, beginning today. Casey had gotten up first, surprisingly and looked over at Spencer, who was sleeping soundly for the first time in a while. His son was sprawled on top of him, also sleeping soundly. It was at this moment that Casey knew they looked more alike than any other person in the world. The woman smiled at the sight and stayed and watched them for a minute or two. She even managed to snap a photo of them before getting up and starting the day.