Four

THERE were times when embarrassment simply never came to me

THERE were times when embarrassment simply never came to me. Once, in high school, while we were on a break, my mother called me.

It was when winter was meeting spring, and the snow had started melting. Mud and wet floors were everywhere. Mom talked about this business meeting she was excited about, and I tried to pay attention both to the conversation and where I was walking.

Key word: tried

The hallways were full. It was a big high school. There were at least fifty people talking, walking and having a fun time. Add or take a few teachers.

I was going up the stairs. Of course, the staircase just had to be empty at the moment.

The next thing I knew, I slipped and fell down. I was walking up the stairs. Who the hell falls while going up the stairs? This bitch, right here.

Was I embarrassed? Not in the slightest. I picked up the phone that I had dropped, dusted off my knees and continued walking, ignoring the loud laughter behind me and many questions if I was alright.

It didn't phase me, not in the slightest.

A/N — actually based on a true story. It's how I fell as a senior in high school and actually I was mf embarrassed. I never lived that one down 😭😭
Ok back to the story:

However, as I was waiting for the elevator to reach my floor, I was embarrassed as hell. How the hell did I get the courage to speak to Mr. Vaughn in that inappropriate manner?

Furthermore, having Luka carrying me wasn't helpful. Nor were my big mouth, because as soon as Cora learned about this, she couldn't stop laughing. She predicted I'd either get laid now, or fired. And honestly, I didn't know which option I hated more.

I got Cora to braid me two dutch braids, because I was yet to dye my hair. In my defense, I kept postponing it until I finally made an appointment for later this week. I couldn't wait to get it colored again.

"Good morning, Freya."

As a ritual, Ellie had a cup of coffee prepared for me. As a senior secretary, her morning started an hour before mine. Of course, it was paid so she never complained. I never would, either.

"Morning, Miss Summers." I accepted the beverage with gratitude in my voice, "What's the schedule today? Hectic, again?"

She chuckled as we walked towards my desk, where a pile of papers waited for me. It was stack, after stack, something I'd either need help with or wouldn't be finished in two days.