Thirty-five

Days just wouldn't seem to pass

Days just wouldn't seem to pass. Minutes felt like an eternity of hell. It was too hard to distinguish reality from daydreams, and it was getting harder each day to function.

Even working wasn't easy. Every paper I would pick up would magically be blank, and my thoughts would turn back to Freya.

Now that I knew she was alive and well, I was seeing her everywhere. Slowly, it was turning into an obsession I couldn't shake off. Her eyes, the look of pain and hatred on her face when she saw me was embedded in my mind.

Perhaps, it wasn't hatred that I saw. However, since I'd been blinded by fury since finding out that she was alive and well — all these years, it was me that felt nothing but hatred. I was projecting and it was making me lose my mind.

Celine was the first one to notice the drastic behavior change. Sebastian wasn't in London, but our sister made it her mission to keep him posted. Regardless, I dismissed any attempt of Celine trying to get information out of me. What the fuck was I supposed to tell her, anyway?

Not like it would've been a believable story.

She probably would've thought I'd completely lost my mind. It'd been five years since Freya's supposed death, and aside from Cora, Luka and myself, no one had seen her. So, there was no chance in hell I was telling Celine anything. She would've sent me to a psych ward.

''What is going on, Elijah?''

I jolted from my seat. I slammed the laptop shut at the sound of Nina's voice. I wasn't doing anything but work, yet, I still had the urge to hide whatever it was on the screen from her. Her voice was soft, as it always had been, so it was a surprise to myself as well as to why I'd been startled.

''That's what I'm talking about,'' she swallowed harshly and leaned against the doorframe. Her gaze was tender, worry laced her pretty eyes. ''You're so... jumpy. I honestly think it's time for us to go home.''

That gained my attention quickly. ''What? Why? I can't leave now, I still have some unresolved business.''

Nina blinked. ''We've been here for a while, and I don't mind moving anywhere on the globe for you. I don't know what is it about this place but you've changed so much recently.''

I paused to think. She was correct, but there was no way I was going to admit it. I sighed, and pushed myself off the chair. Slowly, I walked towards her, and the sleepiness became visible on her face. She had bags under her eyes, and I knew it was because she was worried. Nina was worried about me.

''It's just stress,'' I lied easily. ''This time of year is really busy and it will all be over soon.''

Nina shook her head, though didn't distance herself when I tried to hug her. ''Why don't you start hiring interns again? From what I've heard, they're actually helpful and it might help get some load off your back.''