Forty-three

Time seemed to be passing rather quickly

Time seemed to be passing rather quickly. There was not a single doubt in my mind that despite loving the life I had in London, my home was New York. My home was where Elijah was, and although it was still rather rocky, it was progressing.

However, we were yet to have a proper, adult, and mature conversation. Between taking a lot of naps, having lots of hot, steamy sex and enjoying food together, we barely spoke about the issue at hand.

Legally, I was dead. And that wasn't even the biggest issue for me. I could stay off grid, live as Alison for the rest of my life, but Elijah wasn't too keen on that idea. He wanted Freya back, but it was going to be difficult to be Freya in the United States.

I didn't mind doing whatever Elijah wanted to do, but he wasn't voicing out his thoughts. Most of the time, I had to forcefully get an answer out of him, even when it was a simple question. He, too had a lot on his mind.

After breaking the engagement with Nina, he owed a lot of explanation to a lot of people. In my opinion, it was his business, but he felt like the least he could do was provide her family with an answer. From what I found out through Luka, Elijah and Nina didn't meet.

The jealous and petty part of me was overjoyed with that information.

And, that ended well. But, then another issue seemed to suddenly pop into my mind.

I'd forgotten that Elijah had Milo hidden in some basement, and the first night, a nightmare resurfaced. It's been years since I last dreamt of Milo, and the day he kidnapped me. I woke up, drenched in sweat. Elijah was asleep, but still held me closely to his body.

I didn't want to wake him up for such a stupid thing, but after that, I was unable to get any proper sleep.

That situation needed to get fixed, quickly. I was aware that their plan was to probably keep Milo alive, until inevitably, he died like a bastard that he is. But, it was making me uneasy, knowing that he was alive.

I shook off the thought of getting closure. I didn't need it — but I did need him gone. Truly, and completely gone.

''What's wrong?'' Elijah's morning voice startled me. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was barely past six in the morning. The past few hours seemed like an eternity.

With a smile, I shook my head. ''Nothing, sleep more.'' Softly, I kissed the top of his head. His hair was silky, and immediately, I started playing with it. Elijah brought me even closer to his body, snuggling as he closed his eyes.

''You've been awake for a while, Freya,'' he mumbled. ''Tell me, don't shut me out.''

I took a minute to collect myself and think carefully about how to approach the situation. I could've brought up only one of the two that were weighing on my mind, but it was Elijah, and he would've noticed immediately that there was something I was keeping from him.