Forty-two

True to my word, I did my best to get Cora back

True to my word, I did my best to get Cora back. Although it seemed as if I was getting on her nerves, a little too much.

I knew where she worked and her work hours. Every morning for the past two weeks, I was waiting for her outside of her company with a cup of coffee. At first, she was both surprised and delighted. Then, she told me to stop stalking her, and that this wasn't going anywhere.

I showered her in gifts, which she always loved, but she put them all aside. At some point, I tried hiding and then meeting her at the coffee shop she frequented, but she figured it out quickly. She stopped going to that coffee shop.

''Didn't I tell you to knock it off?'' Cora's annoyance was visible on her face, eyes glaring at me with creased brows.

''Yes, but I also told you I'm not giving up on you.''

Cora sighed, annoyed. ''It's not making me forgive you, if anything, it's making me want to kill you for real.''

I grinned. ''That would be an honor.''

Cora walked out of the shop, and I followed suit. She paid no attention to me, and went about her business, though she did turn around once and glanced, to see if I was still behind her. An eye roll followed.

''Why are you so keen on annoying me?''

''Well,'' I decided that honesty was the best policy, ''I'm leaving soon. I'm going back to London, and I wanted to annoy you before I left.''

Her brows narrowed and she stopped. ''What? No. You can't leave.''

''Why? You want me here?'' I was teasing her, for the most part.

I didn't expect her expression to falter. For a moment, Cora seemed genuine sad. Her eyes flickered with an unknown emotion. Her lips pursed, and she avoided eye contact.

''Well, yeah, I do.'' She confessed, ''so I hope you rethink that decision. After all, you had a life here.''

I chuckled, and linked my arm with hers. She was taken aback, but didn't reject the advance. It made me too happy, even though it could've been a fleeting emotion. We continued to walk together for a while, without speaking.

We approached her company way too soon. Cora turned to look at me, a sad smile on her soft features.

''As much as I enjoyed your little stalking sprees, please don't do that anymore. Instead, just call me and let's go out for dinner or coffee.''

My smile couldn't have been wider. I nodded my head, and before I could utter another word, she slipped past me and walked into a building.

It was true that friendship break-ups were rougher than romantic ones. And no matter how much I wanted Elijah back, no moment with him could have compared to this. Cora was my soul mate, and hurting her was what I regretted the most.