Twenty-two

''FIRST OF ALL, you won't be speaking to me in that tone, ever again

''FIRST OF ALL, you won't be speaking to me in that tone, ever again.'' I stated, firmly. A long sigh slipped past my lips at the sight of his eyes softening, ''I am never allowing a man to talk to me like I'm beneath him, ever again. So, this time, speak normally.''

Elijah took a few steps back, ''I'm sorry, Freya. You're right. There's no excuse for my tone. I apologize.''

Quite frankly, this was the answer I wanted to get. However, it was still unexpected of him to listen to me and feel so remorseful. And he was truly sorry, I could tell by looking at his face.

''Apology accepted.'' I said, ''Now, sit down and let's talk.''

Oh, wow. I managed to surprise myself with the level of maturity I showed him. However, the moment I mentioned the conversation that we were supposed to have, rage filled behind his eyes and I could see him shake slightly. Though, like a good boy, he listened and sat down across from me, a place Cora was sitting not too long ago.

''I have my eyes and ears on this place. I know that Milo called you and I know what you two talked about. And before you assume that it was me spying on you, it wasn't like that. I set every call to be recorded so I could try and track where he would be calling from.''

My eyes closed briefly, ''How did you know he would actually call me?''

''I didn't. I hoped he wouldn't. But, I studied him, Freya. He is a diagnosed psychopath. Not only is he incapable of love, but the worst part of him being a psychopath was the obsession he developed for you. Luka talked to a few of his inmates in prison, if you want to know more about it.''

I paused for a moment. I looked down, my hands were trembling. It was a bad idea to learn what he was talking about me, but it could be an indicator of what he truly wanted. Yet, somehow, it didn't convince me.

''Tell me.''

Elijah was wary of my reaction. Judging by the look he gave me, he was unsure whether or not I was ready to hear it. Although I wasn't, I only nodded as an encouragement for him to speak.

''Milo escaping wasn't an accident.''

''What do you mean?'' I could feel my pulse rising.

''I mean, it wasn't a deeply planned escape. It wasn't his first time leaving, either. He bribed a few of the officers and guards to let him out from time to time, and as terrifying as it is, he was most likely tracking you.''

A low, humorless, chuckle fell from my lips, ''Yeah, I know. I saw him once, though I thought it was in my head. Now I know.''

Elijah continued, ''His inmate told Luka that he had purchased another home, where all of his toys would finally meet each other.''

My eyes went wide, ''What? Does this mean that there's more girls out there, on his radar?''

Elijah tensed, ''Yes... And I think one of them might be my sister.''