Thirty-nine

''What's with the sudden phone call?''

My mom sighed on the other side of the line. Her breathing was very much giving away, and all I heard was anxiety from her. It didn't help because when mom was anxious, I was anxious.

''Elijah dropped by this morning, angry as hell,'' she stumbled over her words. ''And you left your goddamn hotel room key on the counter last night, so he saw it and is most likely on the way to the hotel. I'm just giving you a heads up.''

''Damn it,'' I hissed under my breath. ''Are you okay?''

Mom's voice was shaky. ''I'll be fine. Thank God you caught me up in the whole current storyline, otherwise this sudden meeting would've gone so terribly wrong. Anyways, dad and I are having BBQ tonight, drop by, please. We miss you.''

I smiled. ''I will. Love you.''

We hung up within a minute. I took a look around the suite I was staying in and visibly winced. If I left now, there was a high possibility he would've waited for me all day long. But this place was a mess. I had around an hour before he got here, if traffic was on my side.

I got to cleaning. It was embarrassing. I used to be such a perfectionist and my place was shining, was always clean like it was a goddamn pharmacy. I slipped twice and almost fell flat on my ass. My heart beating quickened as I cleaned up the kitchen and living room area. Of course, everything was just thrown into the bedroom, because there was no reason he'd go inside.

Soon enough, the receptionist called me. I was feeling overwhelmed as I told her to send him up. My hands trembled. Why did I do this? I lied to myself and repeated that it was because I didn't want my parents to suffer the blow. And he was going to get an earful as soon as he came upstairs.

Who the fuck did he think he was, going to my parents home to yell at them?

No knocking, no announcing himself - absolutely nothing.

The door opened harshly, and he waltzed in as if he owned the place. The door closed behind him with a slam.

The room felt too stiff, despite it being enormous. His presence was dominating, threatening. The way he walked and held his head high was showing pure power, and something inside of my stomach twisted. I couldn't decide whether it was a good thing or a bad thing just yet.

''I thought you were staying in London.''

He inched closer and I took a careful step back. ''I wrapped up things there quicker and came home just in time to greet you.'' There was an undertone in his words, but I ignored it.

I hummed. ''And does your fiance know where you are?''

His mouth opened, then shut quickly. I smirked, and waited for his response, but we both knew what the response was even before he spoke out.

''No,'' he paused. ''But this doesn't concern her.''

I grimaced. ''If my future husband was visiting his ex, it sure as fuck would've concerned me.''