Forty

Elijah didn't kiss me

Elijah didn't kiss me. Hell, he didn't even utter a word as he left. Despite being almost desperate to feel his touch once again, I didn't dare to make the first move. He was still a taken man, and I was disgusted with myself for wanting him to be unfaithful to Nina.

No matter how much of a bitch she was, it wasn't right. It was better that he had left in that moment, otherwise I truly wouldn't have been to control myself. It was almost... like a need. It was infuriating, too.

What was I thinking? Elijah wasn't a cheater, that much I was sure of. I didn't want to be the one who tempted him, no matter how much I wanted and needed him. Though, I somehow ended up hoping and praying that he would break up with Nina.

That wouldn't be a guarantee that we'd have a shot at being together, but it was better than possibly cheating. So, I ended up wanting to break the two up, and with no trace of it being my doing.

''You're talking like a crazy person right now, Freya.''

My mother was scolding me. I knew it was a mistake to share my inner devil with her. She was supposed to be on my side with this one, but she was taking their side.

''I'm just saying,'' I mumbled, ''It's better than to sit around and just be in pain.''

Mom was not impressed. She flicked my forehead, and ignored my stunned face. ''That's what you get for acting like a little brat. Life isn't easy for anyone, why did you think you're special?''

My mouth dropped. ''Jesus, thank you, mother, for such kind words.''

''You're not a kid anymore, Freya. Start using that smart brain of yours to figure out the easiest way out of this situation. Acting like you own the world won't help you, at all.''

I was hurt by her words because she was right. Mom had no filter, and instead of telling me what I wanted to hear, she told me what I needed to hear. The truth of the situation was that I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.

Yes, I wanted Elijah back, no matter the cost, but I didn't know where to start. It wasn't like I could've just appeared on his doorstep that he shared with his fucking fiance, and ask for a second chance.

Nina was definitely not an easy opponent. She was fierce, which was one of the reasons I was intimidated by her presence. Not only was she drop dead gorgeous, she was a successful business woman, with a career bigger than my dreams.

I did a thorough background check on her, I needed to know just who I was dealing with. It didn't help, at all.

She was the smartest kid in school, graduated with honors, started her company and worked hard to get where she was. It was admiring, but I was feeling nothing but hatred. Just because she had my dream in her palm didn't make her better than me.

However, a small voice in my head kept telling me that the reason I hated her was because she was better. Obviously, she got the man I wanted, too. Was there anything in this world she couldn't have gotten?