Thirty-six

''Why are they staring you down?'' Tessa's voice came from behind me

''Why are they staring you down?'' Tessa's voice came from behind me. I was startled for a second, before I laughed it off. I turned my attention to her, and broke the long staring contest with Elijah.

''No idea,'' I mumbled.

''Do you want me to send security to escort them out?''

I snorted as I poured another Long Island for Marcus. ''For what? Looking at me? No need. I doubt they are going to cause trouble.''

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. ''If you say so. Something tells me they are nothing but trouble.''

In a way, she was right. I wasn't one hundred percent sure they were gonna be good. Last time Luka was here, with Cora, they caused some trouble. Nothing but a few ears listening, but I still felt uncomfortable about how it went down.

I slid the drink over to Marcus and we returned to the previous topic. However, I had issues with keeping up. He was no longer interesting and nothing he said was funny. It was because the two handsome men in the far corner had all my attention.

Why were they here?

Were they plotting on how to actually murder me? Or worse, getting me back to the States?

It was getting too much. I needed to tell someone and it needed to be done right now. It felt as if I was about to snap.

''Hey, Mac!'' I yelled over to one of the waitresses. She was the only one with bar experience.

''Yes, babe?''

''Can you watch over the bar for like five minutes? Thank you.''

I didn't wait for her response and grabbed Tessa's hand. I dragged her to the locker room, where all of our stuff were, and sat her down on the bench.

''Hun, if you wanted to have some sex you should've told me.''

''Funny,'' I replied and she wiggled her eyebrows. ''But no. What I'm about to tell you will sound so crazy that it's almost unbelievable but you can't tell anyone about it. Can I trust you?''

My hands were shaking and worry took over her face. ''What's going on, Alison?''

I closed my eyes. ''My name isn't Alison Hale. It's Freya Preston. Five years ago, my ex-boyfriend, who was abusive during our whole relationship kidnapped me and almost drowned me. I faked my death and escaped here.''

Tessa's grimace would've made an amazing meme. She blinked a few times, a minute of silence passed.

''That's funny.'' She laughed.

I shook my head. ''Do you see me laughing? And you want the icing on the cake? Those two men who were staring me down? Yeah, one of them was my best friend, the other one was my boss who I was—and probably still am in love with. Oh, we had a sex contract too.''