Thirty-four

Someone was very annoying

Someone was very annoying. The doorbell wouldn't stop ringing. And if it hadn't been for the fact that it was a little over three in the morning, I wouldn't had gotten out of bed. To be frank, grabbing the gun that I owned was probably the safest thing I could've done. After everything I'd been through, I carried one on me almost at all times. Lord knew where Milo was hidden.

Elijah... well, that encounter didn't go well. There was no point in lying to him, but as soon as the grip on my hand softened, I bolted. I left my wallet, keys and the spilled juice on the floor of the mall and bolted right out.

I ran home. It was a thirty minute car ride, and I didn't know how exactly I managed to run for so long without passing out. I ran like my life depended on it, and as soon as I got home, I called Tessa from an old phone.

I couldn't tell her exactly why I ran and what the hell happened, only that I got very scared and that I'd lost the items I brought with me. She urged me to tell more, but once she realized I wasn't going to tell her anything, she told me I should just take a few days off work.

The bell rang another couple of times.

''I'm coming,'' I yelled out, before mumbling, ''Jesus Christ, who the fuck was here so late?''

The gun was safely in my left hand. The only thing this apartment lacked was a peep hole. With a small cuss under my breath, I grabbed the door handle and opened the door.

''What? How did you...'' I struggled the get the words out. My hands began trembling, and the gun fell on the floor with a thud.

On the other side of the door was Elijah. Unlike earlier in the day when I'd seen him, he seemed more collected and calm right now. His eyes were void of emotions, his lips tugged into a thin line. He blinked twice, before he took a step forward.

I released a low sigh. With a shake of my head, I stepped aside and allowed him to enter. Truthfully, the only reason was because my neighbors were assholes. The smallest commotion would've had them call the cops on me, and that was the last thing I needed.

''How I know where you live? I got the address from your boss.'' He stated matter-of-factly.

A humorless laugh slipped past my lips, eyes widened. Elijah took it upon himself to inspect the apartment I'd been living in for the past few years. It was nothing lavishing as the one in New York had been, but it was a pretty little space that I called home.

''Did you tell her?''

''About you faking your death? Yes, I did.''

My heart sank to my feet. I felt vile rise up in my throat, but I swallowed it, my hands shaking. His back was turned to me and although he didn't see it, he sure as fuck felt how angry I'd gotten. He stilled, and slowly looked at me over his shoulder.

''Why didn't you just broadcast it to the world, Elijah?''

''Well, maybe I should've.'' He yelled back at me, and I was getting more angry as time passed. I took a step forward. He continued, ''You seriously think about no one but yourself.''