Twenty-nine

THE SAND FELT hot under my feet

THE SAND FELT hot under my feet. It was soft, too, as if it was the softest thing I'd ever walked on.

My eyebrows creased. Where the hell was I?

Nothing but golden sand was in my sight. It spread on for miles, and on the right side of me was ocean. The color was so vibrant, yet so tender at the same time.

However, it was my feelings that surprised me the most.

Tranquility, peace and happiness was all I felt. If this was heaven, then somehow, I managed to sneak myself in, without trying.

"Don't I get a hug?"

Startled, I spun around immediately. Harsh light hit my face and I closed my eyes, trying to block the sudden ache.

Soft laugh came from the person.

As soon as the voice registered in my brain, all of the ache seemed to vanish. My eyes opened immediately and it felt as if my heart was going to leap straight out of my chest.

For a moment, I forgot how to breathe. Nothing was on my mind, not a single rational thought—only her.

Freya stood in front of me, wearing a sheer white dress that reached just above her knees. Her long, beautiful hair fell messily over her shoulder, a white flower behind her ear.

Her smile, however, it was the biggest, widest grin I'd ever seen from her. Pure happiness laced her soft features, and the soft laughing completely mesmerized me.

Instantly, I started to run towards her. However, the more I was running, and the quicker I was trying to reach her, she was getting farther and farther away.

Slowly, it seemed that she was slipping from my grasp again.

"Stop trying so hard, and come here." She yelled out.

I paused and took a second to regain my breath. My heart almost snapped in half once she took a small step towards me. I didn't think twice before I mimicked her actions.

"Where are we?" I asked, loudly. I was pissed that the distance between us was still too great.

A sad smile took over her face. I tried to block out the words that slipped past her plump lips.

"Well, this is your dream."

"Why can't I control it, then? Why can't I have you close to me?"

"Because I am visiting you in your dream, baby. It's mine to control."

Slow steps from both of us resulted in the distance getting closer and closer. My eyes were glued to her chest, and I wanted nothing more but to cry once I saw her chest raising in her breathing rhythm.

An inch was in between us. I couldn't move my eyes off her and my body wouldn't move. I took a sharp intake of breath at the sight of the scar on her cheek, all of the ugly memories resurfaced.