Thirteen

CORA WAS sitting across from me

CORA WAS sitting across from me. Her glasses rested on the bridge of her nose, brows narrowed as her fingers moved swiftly over the keyboard. The upper part was all I could see over the laptop, with her annoyed face.

She barged into my apartment, at nine in the morning. I was safely asleep, and was planning to sleep in at least till noon, given that I'd decided to take the two days off that Elijah had given me. I needed sleep and the dark circles underneath my eyes showed just how much.

''Are you almost done?'' I whined.

The original plan was to keep Cora company until she finished her assignment. However, it's been over three hours since we were simply existing in the same room, silence all around us. She gave me no indication of being done anytime soon and I was getting tired again.

I jolted slightly when she slammed the laptop shut. It was a miracle how she managed not to break the device. She glared at me and removed her glasses, neatly placing them on top of the laptop.

''No.'' She groaned out, ''I want to drop out and become a stripper.''

''Then do it, just stop whining.''

Cora didn't appreciate my humor and threw a random pillow she found. I ducked in time and it fell behind me onto the floor. She gave me the finger with a small chuckle then yawned herself. I got goosebumps when she began to crack her knuckles and her neck. Although it was not going to happen, each time she did it, I felt as if her head was going to fall off her shoulders.

''What should we do today?'' She asked.

''We could just stay in and sleep. I am honestly not in the mood for anything.''

Cora's smile widened, ear to ear, as her blue eyes stared at me with mischief making an appearance. ''You're not even in the mood to walk around the town with your new Saint Laurent bag?''

She was referring to the gift Elijah had prepared for me. I was never the one to be interested in a present's worth, since I appreciated all the gifts I received, however, everything about that gift screamed expensive. From the packaging and the size, to the bag itself. It cost around four thousand dollars, give or take. I was shocked. There was no way I was ever going to just walk that down the city, I didn't want to be robbed.

Elijah being Elijah, wasn't done there. Excluding the spa and beauty treatment I had at the hotel, aside from the bag, he got me a pair of Harry Winston diamond earrings with a matching pendant. That was something I didn't bother searching for, as I knew how expensive that jewelry was.

The only thing that ran through my mind once I saw his gifts was that I definitely needed a safe for my apartment. If he continued to shower me with these kinds of presents one of two things were going to happen.

Number one: Somehow, I would need to return the favor. It wasn't like I grew up in a household that was struggling and with the fund my father left for me to use while in university, I could easily buy him a present that he would like. However, what does one buy for a person who already has everything?