Twenty

One of the most important life lesson's I learned was that no matter how hard you try, or how good of a person you were, something bad was bound to happen to you

One of the most important life lesson's I learned was that no matter how hard you try, or how good of a person you were, something bad was bound to happen to you. In my case, everything went downhill after I met Milo.

And of course, sometimes, life needed to get bad before it could get good. But, when was the good part going to come for me? And right now, it didn't need to be that good.

All I needed was to move on from the hell he'd trapped me in, with no exit in sight.

I was more and more sure of the fact that it was my fault. I should've listened to my gut, and should've escaped him while I had the chance. If I had been strong enough, many of the things he put me through could've been avoided.

I could never forget the day I saw him the last time, before we met again in court. It was a rainy day, and up until that point, rainy days were my comfort days. Laying all day long in my pj's, with a book in hand and a hot cup of coffee.

Milo had called me early in the morning, once again apologizing for hitting me. As always, he managed to force his voice to sound apologetic. He continued to beg to see me, to tell me that it would never happen again.

Against my better judgement, and ignoring the bruise on my left eye, I went there to see him. I knew that I was either going to cave or I was going to break up with him completely.

Oh, how much of a fool I'd been.

My parents were gone for two weeks at that point, on a business trip. I lied that I was going to bed early and instead went to meet him.

He lived in a fairly good neighborhood. I took a taxi to his house, and as soon as I rang the bell, he was opening the door for me. In that moment, I knew that I never should've come to meet him. The look on his face told me that I was either leaving in a body bag, or not leaving at all.

I took a careful step back.

''What's wrong, Freya?'' He was taunting me as he took a step towards me, ''Aren't you here so we could kiss and make up?''

I didn't stick around to hear what else he had to say. Since he was barefoot, I had the advantage. I bolted towards the streets and I didn't know where all the strength had come from, or the ability to run as quickly as I did.

Likely, it was the adrenaline pumping in my veins that had given me the strength.

I couldn't see him behind me and I felt a wave of relief wash over me. Though, as much as I wanted to lie to myself that it was the end, somehow I knew that it wasn't even remotely close to being over.

I was at a crosswalk, waiting for the traffic light to turn red and walk over. After that, it would've taken me around fifteen minutes to reach my house.

As I stepped on the street, I heard people start to yell behind me. My head snapped to the left and it was as if the time had slowed down. All I saw was a black sedan coming my way, and behind the steering wheel was no one other than Milo.