Twenty-one

I HAVEN'T TOLD anyone about the phone call from Milo

I HAVEN'T TOLD anyone about the phone call from Milo. Since it was most likely a burner phone, he couldn't be tracked, and it would only make people close to me worry, and I hated that. I've been on their mind quite a lot recently, and all I wanted was for all of this to end.

And, the other reason was that I wasn't as brave as I originally thought. I was a walking contradiction. One moment, I didn't care what Milo would do to me, the next second I was crawled up in Elijah's bed, crying and throwing up from the fear he'd provoked out of me.

It's been three days since Milo called me, and ever since nothing but radio silence. It was truly... scary. He wasn't the kind to give out empty threats, and since he was being a ghost, it brought back that pit in the depth of my stomach.

I should've listened to my body. The day when I thought I saw him on the street, was likely the day I truly saw him out there. I was unsure of how he managed to pull it off, though I knew what he was capable of and as much as I wanted to finally scream that I've had enough, I couldn't.

No amount of support from Elijah, Luka, Cora and my parents was enough when I felt powerless. And that was exactly what I was.

''Hey,'' Elijah said as he entered his bedroom. I haven't left since the day Milo called me. Somehow, the bedroom was my safe place at the moment, and I didn't feel comfortable leaving. Elijah was kind enough to bring me all the food here and other things I needed.

''Hi.'' I smiled, and he knew it was a fake smile, but didn't comment on it.

I didn't notice until he was standing next to my bed, but he brought me a cup of hot tea. As someone who drank tea when sick only, I've had more tea in the past three days than in my entire life. Yet, I didn't have it in me to tell him to switch it with coffee. I cherished and felt so grateful for his efforts.

He gently set it on the bedside table and sat next to me. Of course, a kiss on my forehead came. I couldn't keep count of how many daily I received, however, I wasn't complaining.

''Are you okay?'' Elijah asked. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I visibly flinched. Grimacing at the feeling of shivers that ran through my body, I tried to nod.

''I'm fine.''

He blinked, not a single trace of amusement on his face as he shook his head, ''I know I told you that I won't pressure you into talking about him, and I won't. But you are hiding something from me, Freya, and I don't like it.''

I turned my head away from him, looking at the window. It was a sunny morning, and it seemed to be windy.

''What could I possibly be hiding, Elijah? Don't be ridiculous.''

''Is that the reason you won't look me in the eye?'' He retorted, quicker than I had an answer prepared.

''Oh, hi there.'' I smiled as Lilith jumped on the bed. She sat next to my legs for a few moments, licking her paws before she snuggled and decided to cuddle on my lap. Her soft purrs soon filled the room as I stroked her back.