BONUS I

Truth be told, our honeymoon phase seemed everlasting

Truth be told, our honeymoon phase seemed everlasting. From the day of the wedding ceremony, till today, a year after, everything was perfect. It was like a paradise. It took me a while to get used to living on an island, but as soon as I did, I loved it more than I could've imagined.

Every day was peaceful, and being with the man I loved more than life itself was something that I hoped would never end.

Elijah was stubborn. It took me a long time to convince him not to hand over his company, and then offered a good compromise — work from home for three weeks, and work one week in the office. That way, we would be in New York at least once a month, and if necessary, more. It was a great opportunity to keep in touch with all of our family and friends.

I did tell him that if he ever felt overwhelmed, we could leave the island and go back to New York. Since the island was in our name, we could use it as a holiday home. That idea was shut down quickly. He wanted me to live the way I wanted to, though, it was getting hard.

He was more and more tired from the trips, because this time of the year was the busiest for him. Traveling every morning and then coming back to me at night was difficult.

But, for the next week and a half, we were back in the penthouse.

Last month, Elijah closed a major deal. He bought off a huge oil company, and it was now under the Vaughn name. Tonight was a celebration, a gala, and I needed to look my best. Of course, as his wife, I wanted to look pretty on his arm.

Cora was helping me get ready. It reminded me of the first time she also helped me get ready for an event with Elijah. Back then, I was nothing but his partner, but now I'm his wife, and even after a year, that word made me giddy inside.

Cora was attending with Luka, and she was breathtakingly gorgeous. Her hair grew a lot, it was now almost past her breasts. Her makeup was soft, and her bold red dress definitely stood out.

As for me, I was debating whether to go with a soft blue or emerald green. In the end, Cora hid the blue one and left me with the green choice. In her words, the blue one was for the beach, not for a luxurious event like this one.

A knock came to the door and as soon as my husband stepped in, my best friend stepped out. He was dressed in a suit, and although I'd seen him wear one at least a hundred times, he looked extra beautiful today.

''My wife is the prettiest woman on Earth.'' He complimented. The seriousness on his face made me chuckle. Slowly, I walked over towards him and fixed his tie. It was a small ritual we had going on. He'd get dressed and I'd fix his tie, despite him knowing how to tie it properly.

''You look good, too.''

He placed a small kiss on the top of my head and I melted as he hugged me. This was my reality now, and I prayed to god it remained intact. There was no one who was going to break the perfect life I had, and I was willing to fight anyone who tried.