𓆩♡𓆪 4 | Lonely and awkward

Your mind is in a haze when you get your belongings together. Kita's answer still bothers you and the bruise from the rubber band is proof of that. Exhaling, you stand up from your seat. You're the last one to leave the classroom. You walk over to the green board and begin to wipe the chalk away with an eraser. 

You nearly forget that you have the task to stay behind to clean up. Typically there would be two students assigned but your classmate left in the middle of the day due to a family emergency. You stop halfway and lower the eraser by your side. Your eyes stare at the green board in silence. 

This is your final year in high school and you have nothing to show for it. Asides your amazing grades, there's no core memory. Your shyness pulls you down which in return leads you to making zero friends. You keep to yourself so much that others easily walk past you without a second glance. You've tried to join clubs but your anxiety was too much after one day. 

You eventually learned to enjoy your own company after your first year. But it's still saddening that you won't have any fond memories to look back on when you're older. You bite your inner cheek when you feel your eyes beginning to gloss over. Raising the eraser back up, you quickly wipe everything off of the board. You try to focus on the task at hand to avoid tearing up in class.

After cleaning off the board, sweeping the floor, and other miscellaneous cleaning you then grab your school bag and head to your locker. There's nothing out of the ordinary in your locker asides your outdoor shoes. You wonder how Kita feels whenever he sees a love letter in his. Maybe it's just the norm for him now. You have to wonder how you find the motivation to write to him every week despite his lack of reading them. 

But maybe you're writing them more for yourself than to him. With the lack of a friend to express your voice to, writing to Kita is an outlet. You silently change out of your shoes and close the locker. If you had someone that wrote to you the way you have, you'd feel incredibly loved. There's no doubt you'll try to find out who they are. But not everyone is like you. 

You raise your eyes up to see a beautiful hue of pink, yellow, and orange. There's hardly any clouds in the sky which makes the scenery even more beautiful. You reach for your phone in your school bag and raise it up to snap a photo. A smile laces on your lips when you stare at the photo. You'll have to show this photo to your mom when you visit her at the hospital tomorrow.

Not wanting to idle around any longer you begin to leave. There's a buzz from your phone and you stare at the lock screen. Your grandmother's contact shines on the screen. Quickly you answer her call. "Y/N dear, are you alright?" Your grandmother's soft voice fills your ears. 

You apologize to her while walking closer to the school exit but the sound of squeaking shoes in the gymnasium slows you down. You absentmindedly stop to look at the volleyball team practice. "Sorry, grammy. I forgot I was on cleaning duty after school. I'm heading home right now. Do you need me to pick up anything along the way?" 

Naturally your eyes find Kita. He looks as cool as ever. The boy is completely in the zone during practice. Each attempt Atsumu tries to juke Kita out doesn't get through. Kita's call outs and movement is one of a captain, that's for sure. You're so consumed in watching Kita that you hardly hear anything your grandmother is saying. 

You snap out of it and return your focus on your phone call. Completely clueless that Suna caught sight of you. "Just miso broth, right? Sure I'll ge--." You're midway answering your grandmother when an unfamiliar voice calls out your name. You nervously turn around with your phone still pressed close to your ear.

Suna is breathing heavily by the front of the gymnasium door. Sweat litters his head, neck, and arms. You wear a look of confusion when you meet his eyes. The confusion turns into panic when he begins to approach you. Flustered, you quickly end the call after telling your grandmother you'll be home shortly. 

You nervously take a step back when Suna stops in front of you. You can't keep eye contact for long as you dart them down, clutching tightly onto your phone and schoolbag. "Is...there something you need from me?" You muster to say something when you feel Suna's eyes stare through you. The boy remains quiet and you're unsure what is going through his mind. 

Slowly you raise your eyes up from the ground to look at him. His eyes avert off to the side when you briefly meet his. Is he shy too? Maybe he used up all his confidence when he called out to you? You don't know much about Suna asides him being the middle blocker and that he's a second year.

Suna slowly returns his eyes to you but you feel his grayish-yellow narrow eyes stop momentarily on your bruised wrist. You're quick to notice as you hide both hands behind you. The boy clears his throat, his Adam's apple bobbing against his throat. "I just want to formally apologize to you for this morning." Suna slowly bows again to reinstate his apology. 

Feeling awkward, you stammer out a quick response. "I-It's fine. There's no need for you to go out of your way to apologize again. I'm not hurt and the window is still standing so..." You catch yourself talking too much. The words end there and now the two of you are quiet again. 

You force yourself to speak again so you can quickly escape from the situation. "Sorry to cut the conversation short but I have to head home." Sloppily bowing to Suna, you turn around and practically run away. You speed walk out of the school grounds and head to the nearest market around the corner of the school. You only calm yourself down when you hear the chimes of the door to the market ring out when you step inside.   

Suna watches Y/L/N dart away. The girl practically wanting to avoid further conversation. Suna exhales the breath he holds. His mind blanked out after apologizing to her. He couldn't think of anything else to say. Suna didn't think he would see her so soon. He turns around to return to the gymnasium but he spots something on the ground where Y/L/N stood moments before.

Reaching down, Suna picks up a pen. There's an adorable peach shaped character as the topper. There's a soft snicker that escapes from Suna when he twirls the pen in his fingertips. "What's that?" Kita's voice startles Suna. There's soft footsteps from Kita when he walks over to Suna. 

Kita wipes at his forehead when he stares at the girly pen in Suna's hand. He raises an eyebrow and looks over to Suna. "You ran out here for a pen?" Kita murmurs with a confused tone. Suna looks at the pen while he twirls it around. 

"Y/L/N. She dropped it." Suna murmurs under his breath. Kita glances around and sees no one but Suna standing here. "She was watching us practice before running off to head home. I caught her in time to apologize properly." Suna averts his eyes back to Kita who quietly listens. 

Kita extends a hand out towards the pen. Suna stares at Kita's open palm with a blank expression. "I'll return it to her tomorrow. We're in the same class." Kita speaks up after having his hand out longer than he'd like. Suna shakes his head and begins to walk past Kita. 

Kita lowers his hand and stares at Suna's back. This behavior from Suna is odd. But Kita doesn't push for it. He shrugs to himself and follows behind Suna. Practice is over with so it's time for the team to head home after they change. 

After quickly changing out of his sweaty gym clothes, Kita grabs his belongings together. His eyes catch sight of the love letter from this morning in his schoolbag. Atsumu's words echo loudly in his mind. "Is that another one? Shouldn't you open their letter Kita? It's rude you've been leading this secret admirer on for two years now."

Closing his schoolbag, Kita exhales. Maybe he should read a few of them tonight.