Chapter 65

Caera Crestless POV

I ran as fast as I could through campus as one of the disciplinary committee members activated their daggers. From the color of the dagger, I could tell the signal was from Elijah.

I made my way past the courtyard towards the artificer building, where I sensed the dagger signature. As I got closer, I saw evidence of a battle on the ground. There were craters, patches of ice, mounds of lava, and one of the trees was on fire.

I saw Elijah kneeling next to Kathlyn, who was sitting on the ground. I eyed four students lying on the ground, not moving.

"What happened!" I yelled as I got closer.

Elijah looked up with anger evident on his face. "Those four bastards attacked Kathlyn and me. They came out of nowhere. It was an obvious ambush." Elijah said as I ran up to them.

I looked at Kathlyn and saw a couple of scratches on her arms, but she looked fine. "Are you both ok? Do either of you need medical attention?" I asked in a worried tone.

Kathlyn shook her head and smiled at Elijah, who brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes. Elijah smiled at her and then looked at me. "No, I think we are ok."

I nodded with a sigh of relief. "Good." I looked at the four individuals on the ground and walked over to them. I could tell they were slightly injured but still breathing. Elijah and Kathlyn both stood up and followed me over to the four individuals. "Do they have any markings?" I asked.

"Let's find out," Elijah said as he kneeled next to one of the individuals. He lifted the shirt of one of the individuals, revealing runes on his back, going down his spine. I let out a frustrated sigh as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"This is the ninth attack this week," I said.

Elijah walked to the other three individuals and lifted their shirts, revealing their backs one by one, and sure enough, they all had markings.

"This isn't good, Vice Captain. They specifically targeted us. Could they be going after the disciplinary committee members?" Kathlyn asked, looking at me.

I shook my head. "I'm not sure. They'd be stupid to do so. Everyone in the school knows the disciplinary committee is comprised of powerful students."

"Maybe that's why," Elijah said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Before Elijah could answer, my dagger activated again. Another disciplinary committee member was in distress and calling for aid.

"It's Curtis!" Kathlyn shrieked.

"Let's go! Leave them for now. We will come back for them!" I yelled as the three of us ran off. We followed the beacon as we ran across campus.

As we arrived near Curtis' position, we heard the sound of people fighting.

"Rawr!!" I heard Grawder roar, followed by an explosion. As we turned around the corner of the building, I saw Grawder had his front paws on two unconscious students as Curtis was fighting two others.

Curtis had his sword augmented in fire magic as he swung at his attackers and dodged their strikes. Curtis was sweating profusely and looked fatigued.

"Move! Help Curtis!" I yelled.

I pulled my crimson blade out of my dimension ring as Kathlyn took out her wand, and Elijah surrounded himself in lava armor. The three of us dashed forward and ran past Curtis.

"We got it from here!" I yelled as we ran past him.

I saw Curtis give me a nod and fall to one knee with a sigh of relief. Kathlyn and Elijah went after one of the individuals while I went after the other. My opponent readied his dual blades and lunged at me.