Chapter 121

Virion Eralith POV

I swallowed hard, shoving down my shock and trying not to show my concern, "H-how many?"

"Thousands, Commander," Aya said through the communication scroll.

I looked at Aya intently, seeing her staring directly at me. It was subtle, but I could see the uneasiness behind her gaze.

Olfred stood behind her, looking toward the ground, seeming deep in thought. He eared his throat and looked at Aya, "Were there any Scythes or Retainers with them?"

Aya looked at him over her shoulder and nodded, "Yes, I counted three Scythes and..." Aya's gaze flicked down, seeming to hesitate for a second. My brows scrunched up in confusion, wondering what she was thinking about. Aya quickly cleared her throat, "And I only saw one retainer."

I sighed deeply, feeling a sense of dread. "Three Scythes..."

I leaned my head forward into my hand and rubbed my temples. I felt stressed, thinking about the upcoming attacks on Darv and the wall. The Alacryans were smart, attacking us on two fronts. Plus, their elite soldiers are with both forces in Darv and at the wall.

"Yes, but Commander," Aya said, and my eyes flicked to her. "One of the Scythes said she was going to join another in the Beast Glades."

My stomach dropped in concern at the realization, "...The wall."

Aya nodded with a serious gaze, "We must warn Arthur."

"I will," I said immediately, thinking about Arthur and Tessia and worried about how Arthur may need to face another Scythe. But right now, I needed to finish being debriefed by Aya, "What about the other two Scythes you saw?"

"Not sure, if I were to guess, I'd say they're staying in Darv," Aya replied.

"It doesn't matter." I heard Olfred say firmly.

Aya looked over her shoulder, and my eyes flicked to Olfred, seeing him standing there with clenched fists and a determined look. Next to him was a pale Bairon, who was looking down with fear in his eyes.

"Retainer, Scythes, it doesn't matter," Olfred said with conviction and looked up at us. "We will bolster our defenses and evacuate all remaining citizens. We will defend Darv, no matter what."

Aya gave him a determined nod before she looked at me. "Olfred is right. We will start making defensive plans in coordination with what I saw on my scout mission. They won't get through us so easily."

I smiled, seeing they hadn't lost their fighting spirit, but also felt regret of this weight being placed on their shoulders, "Very good. I'll send what forces I can to Darv. If there is anything more you need, let me know, and I will do what I can. Good luck."

"Will do, Commander. And thank you." Aya said, and the commutation ended, turning the scroll to dust.

"A clever tactic on Agrona's part."

My gaze flicked to the corner of the room, seeing Aldir standing there casually, with his hands clasped to the small of his back.

"You mean attacking us on both fronts?" I sighed and nodded, "A clever and troublesome tactic indeed."

"More than that," Aldir said. He began to walk forward, and I watched as he approached my desk and took a seat in the chair in front of me.

I leaned back into my chair and looked at him curiously, "Meaning?"

"Agrona's been trying to split the continent since the beginning. Using human Dicathen nobles to attack Xyrus and having them focus on the dwarves and elves. Then, using the dwarven nobles to sneak Alacryan forces into Darv. And last but not least, using Dicathen's own mana beasts against us." Aldir said matter of factly.