Chapter 132-Final

Virion Eralith POV

The council all stood in the council room, eagerly waiting for any news from either Darv or the wall. I could tell tensions were high in the room since we barely said a few words to each other.

My eyes were glued to the map of Dicathen, seeing the figurines we had set up on the Wall and Darv from the last information we received. The lack of communication from both the wall and Darv was driving me insane. I was eager to know what was happening on both war fronts. But also, I was concerned.

Thoughts of the people I cared about who were fighting flooded my mind. However, among all of them, one stood out. Arthur. I would be lying to myself if I said I wasn't worried for him. I knew he was incredibly strong and powerful, but who knows what or who he might encounter on the battlefield. Plus, now Arthur has another reason to fight and come back alive.

Thoughts of Tessia telling us she is pregnant surfaced. A smile graced my face as I thought about how happy I was at the news. Sure, I would've rather her be pregnant after they were married. But they've known each other for their entire lives and are completely in love. I'm sure Arthur will be a great father and fantastic king one day.

I wish I could have them get married as soon as possible. While I'm okay with Tessia being pregnant, others may not be. However, I wasn't sure how I would be able to get them married with a war going on. It's not like we could take out our most powerful Lance from the battlefield. No, Alacrya would use the distraction of the wedding to their advantage.

A glow from the pile of communication scrolls got everyone's attention and knocked me out of my thoughts. It felt like the air around us thickened, and everyone held their breath. I reached out, grabbed the communication scroll, and opened it, feeling my heart about to beat out of my chest.

An image of a familiar black-haired elf appeared, and I smiled with relief, "Aya, it's good to see you. What's going on? What's the status of Darv?"

Aya looked down with a defeated sigh, and my stomach dropped as I knew the news wouldn't be good. Buhnd looked at me concerned, his lips agape and his brows furrowing, hearing Aya's sigh.

Aya looked up at me with a look of failure in her eyes, "I'm afraid Darv has fallen. We couldn't hold them."

Buhnd visibly paled and fell back into his chair. He held a downcast gaze, looking lost like his world was crumbling. I couldn't blame him because it technically was. The place he called him, the entire dwarven kingdom, was now lost to the Alacryans.

"How?" Buhnd whispered in disbelief, his gaze locked on the floor.

"Tell me everything that happened," I ordered sternly yet gently. I knew Aya had just been through hell; I didn't need her thinking that I blamed her.

Aya nodded, obviously not taking offense to my stern order, "We formed the defensive line as planned. The Alacryans marched on us in full force, with their elite soldiers leading the charge. I held the center flank, Olfred the east flank, and Bairon the west flank. Scythes attacked the center and east flanks. Olfred and I were overwhelmed by their tremendous power and strength. They moved right through our defenses like they were nothing."

"What about the west flank? What about Bairon?" Blaine asked, looking at the scroll intently. His eyes were narrowed, and his right index finger rapidly tapped the desk he was leaning on, obviously eager to learn Bairon's fate.

Aya looked down sympathetically, and a sense of dread washed over me. Her look told me everything I needed to know. We had lost another Lance.

"Sameer attacked the west flank. The same retainer that killed Mica," Aya spat, looking up with a gaze of pure malice. I wasn't surprised by her tone or look. The hatred she felt toward Sameer was understandable. "I don't know the specifics. However, Bairon fell in battle against Sameer. He's dead, and the west flank fell."