Chapter 89

Virion Eralith POV

*ring* *ring*

I was currently in the council room with the other council members talking about recent events. My eyes fell to the pile of communication scrolls to my right as one of them began to glow. The council members fell silent, and I picked up the scroll and opened it.

"Ah, captain Shard, do you have something to report?" I asked as Helen's image appeared on the other side.

"Yes, Commander, per your request, I'm reporting that we have located the boss room. The Trailblazers are getting ready as we speak. We will set out for the boss room in approximately four hours." Helen stated.

"Understood, any signs of Alacryan soldiers or their Retainers?" I asked.

Helen shook her head, "None so far."

"Hmmm, either way, let me see if I can send a Lance your way. It's better to be safe than sorry." I said.

Helen nodded, "Thank you, Commander."

I looked at Buhnd, "Buhnd, check to see if there are any Lances available."

"Will do," Buhnd said as he picked up a communication scroll. He opened the communication scroll and called the captain in charge of Vildorial's defense.

"Iron Longfoot," Buhnd said.

I watched the communication scroll glow, and a picture of Captain Iron appeared. Iron was a short older dwarf with thick black hair and a long black beard. He was very stocky and had a lot of body hair.

"Council member Buhnd, what's going on?" Iron asked curiously.

"Captain Iron, the Trailblazers in the Beast Glades have located the boss dungeon. I was calling to see if there were any Lances available to assist them." Buhnd said.

"Hmmm, let me check," Iron said.

I could hear him shuffling papers around. After a few minutes, Iron spoke again.

"Afraid not. Aya is currently on a scout mission watching Alacryan troop movements. Bairon and Mica are currently at the defensive line. The Alacryans are massing and preparing to attack. Olfred is escorting the supply unit from Vildorial to the defensive line. Aya has already reported seeing a Retainer with the Alacryan forces, so I need the Lances. I'm sorry." Iron reported.

My stomach dropped slightly hearing this, how our forces are stretched thin, and we can't give the Trailblazers any help. Buhnd sighed, looking towards me, and I gave him an understanding nod.

"No, it's ok, I understand; thank you for checking. I know things haven't been easy since Rahdeas." Buhnd said.

"Yes. It definitely wasn't An Expected Betrayal." Iron said sorrowfully.

Buhnd nodded, "Good luck, Iron." The communication ended, and the scroll turned to dust in Buhnds's hands.

"That leaves Alea and Varay," Blaine said.

"Alea is the only one in Elenoir, and Varay is the only one in Sapin. Are we willing to send the only Lances defending those kingdoms? They'd be left defenseless if a Retainer attacked." Alduin pointed out.

"We can't send Elion either. He's in charge of the wall and the Beast Glades. If we send him, we give up the wall's best defense." Buhnd said.

"So there's no one to send then," Pricilla sighed in frustration as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Well then, what do we do? Just let the Trailblazers go by themselves again? What if they encounter another Retainer?" Merial said, sounding concerned.