Chapter 90

Arthur Leywin POV

"Are you prepared for your final test?" Ducard said as he sat across from me.

"I am," I said with a nod.

"We shall see," Ducard said as the aether dome formed around us.

We were enveloped in the amethyst light as we entered the mind realm. I looked around, and I noticed we were on a river that was frozen solid. There was nothing around, and it looked like the river spread out for miles. The sky was clear, with not a cloud in sight.

I looked down and stomped on the ground several times to test the ice's integrity, but I didn't hear the ice crack. I breathed out, seeing my own breath. However, I didn't feel cold at all.

"Aw, no snow to roll around in this time? That's a ball buster." Regis said dejectedly as he jumped out of my body.

"Sorry for the disappointment."

Regis and I looked toward the voice, seeing Ducard standing before us. I noticed he was wearing scale armor as he held an aether blade in his right hand.

"Arthur, for the final test, I want you to use the full extent of your abilities. Use what you've learned to defeat me in battle. I will not hold back, and neither should you." Ducard said.

"You sure?" I asked. "I don't want to hurt you."

Ducard chuckled, "Give it your best shot."

I nodded to Ducard as I readied my armor and Despair. I got into a defensive stance as I prepared for Ducard to dash forward. However, Ducard continued to stand there casually, watching me.

"What? You're not going to attack first?" I said with confidence, as I smirked.

Ducard raised a brow, "If you wish."

Ducard suddenly god stepped beside me and punched me in the side with an aether-clad fist. I grunted as I went flying through the air, losing my grip on Despair. I tumbled uncontrollably until I fell to the ground, skidding across the ice and slowly coming to a halt.

"Ow," I groaned, slowly getting up to my feet.

Ducard god stepped before me the second I stood up and slapped me across the face with an aether-clad backhand. I yelled as I flew through the air again, crashing onto the ice and sliding to a halt.

I began to get up when Ducard god stepped beside me and kicked me in the stomach with an aether-clad foot. I coughed up blood as I was kicked across the ice and skidded to a halt on my side.

"Fuck," I whispered to myself.

I looked up at the sound of tiny footsteps, and my eyes fell on Regis, who walked up and sat beside me. "I vaguely remember you telling me not to taunt the instructed at one point in time," Regis chuckled.

"Fuck off," I groaned as I stood up.

Ducard god stepped a few feet before me, creating aether blades in both hands. Two aether blades appeared on each side of him at waist level, floating in the air. Two more aether blades appeared above his shoulders, floating in the air. I went wide-eyed as I gulped.

"Still think this is going to be easy?" Regis asked, sounding slightly amused.

"Shut up." I snapped.

I quickly got into a defensive stance and took out Despair, which had reappeared in my dimensional rune.

Suddenly the four floating aether blades flew toward me at a frightening speed. I quickly god stepped behind Ducard, preparing to attack. However, when I looked for Ducard, he was gone. My brows furrowed in confusion, and I quickly scanned my surroundings, seeing no trace of him.