Chapter Twenty Four

» [Affection – Cigarettes After Sex] «

          1:03 ─〇───── 5:11

               ⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

To say you were devastated was an understatement. As you looked at the score board for the rankings you saw your name taunting you as the number two was placed before it. 

Ranking first was Xiao...nono you're happy for him, just disappointed in yourself and that maybe you disappointed him too.

Getting a glimpse of your current friend group your eyes widen, diving into the swarm of students you made sure that they're not gonna see you. 

Looking back, you made eye contact with Xiao. Cursing to yourself you ran down an empty hallway hoping no one would see you.

Most people would be proud, happy even, that they got second but no, it wasn't enough for you. You surely would get a call from your...'family' later. 

But you didn't give a shit about them. You're disappointed in all the sleepless nights and all the time Xiao wasted on you.

But in all that you're really happy for him. Kinda envious too, but you won't say that aloud of course. Walking up to the back of the school, (since you couldn't go the rooftop as Xiao would go there first.) as you sat down under a tree, you closed your eyes.

You got second place case you messed up three questions, who knew it would cost just that much to make it as the second best... maybe it was because you were taught to always be first or else you won't matter to anyone? That you'd be worthless.

You hated this. You hated overthinking every single detail that it will always come back to your past. 

As you were thinking you didn't notice the green haired boy you were supposedly avoiding looming over you.

" I'm sorry " You snapped your eyes opened at the voice making eye contact with Xiao. " sorry what for?" you asked wide eyed. " well...I saw the board " he said hesitantly. 

You laughed before tapping the empty space next to you. As he sat down, you leaned your head against his shoulder letting out an exhausted sigh. 

" no, im sorry for letting you down. I'm sorry for wasting your time " you said honestly looking down. " you're worried about that? I'm more worried you might get mad at me for taking first in the board. " he said wide eyed.

You stared at him, before bursting out laughing. " nono im actually really proud " you said giving him a wide grin. Laying down at the grass again you noticed the sky turning a light shade of grey. 

" it's gonna rain again " you muttered subconsciously. " you do know we still have class, and I still have to tutor you " he said standing up and offering his hand. 

Wait he's still gonna teach me? You thought. You looked at him with a puzzled expression, " you're still alright with teaching me? " you asked.

Chuckling at your puzzled expression he nodded as you pulled you up. Droplets of rain started to go down, Xiao pulled you along running as both of you laughed.

I'm glad he's here.

Timeskip: end of class

As class ended you waited for Xiao in the staircase. Soon enough you get a phone call, answering it your lips formed into a line, displeasure evident in your face.

" Y/n, how have you been " he voiced through the phone a fake enthusiasm dripping from his words.

" I've been fine. Let's not waste anymore time here father, get to the point. " you said blankly. You knew exactly what he called for and you were prepared for it, or so you thought.

" I saw your test results, second? Do you wanna be worthless that bad? " he said, as calm as his voice was you knew he hated you. To him you were a failure.

" I'll do better I'm sorry " you said your voice getting quieter. You convinced yourself you were prepared to take in what he said and not be affected by it but I guess that wasn't the case...

" it better not or you know what'll happen y/n. You wouldn't want to lose your friends of yours there would you? do better I don't want a disappointment as my daughter. " he said before hanging up.

Staring at your phone, a tiny drop of water fell on top of it. Looking to the ceiling to see if there was a leak, you saw nothing. That was until you realized, you're crying. 

You didn't care about your 'family' anymore but you still imagined what it was like to have a happy one.

One that didn't define you through your achievements. Seeing the sliding doors open to your classroom, you hurriedly wiped your tears. It was already an hour passed the end of classes, you and Xiao just decided to stay longer.

As you pretended to look something in your bag to not let any of your tears be noticed, Xiao walked over to you. He leaned against the wall waiting patiently, well that was until he heard sniffling.

Walking over to you he made you stand up straight, making you look at him. Seeing your red eyes his brows furrowed. 

Wiping a few of your tears he leaned your head on his shoulders, wrapping his arms around you tightly.

" I won't ask what happened unless you want me to. But what's important to me is if you're ok..." he said hugging you tighter as you sobbed on his shoulders.

It doesn't matter to me If you have secrets, what matters to me is that it doesn't make you unhappy.