Chapter 5

Kelani

It's Wednesday. I had no classes today so I just been chilling at home. Uncle finally came home from work. The sun has already set. He drags his feet across the floor and throws his keys on the counter. He looked more exhausted today than usual.

"Uncle Sam!" I call from the living room.

He stands behind the counter in the kitchen "Keke!" He mocks.

"How was your day?" I ask making my way to the kitchen.

"Long" he sighs.

"Why did something happen?"

"Nah it's just, the boss has been complaining that he's low on men because he keeps having to get rid of some arseholes who wanna act ballsey and cocky toward him" he grabs a couple grapes from the fruit bowl and plops them into his mouth.

"So now he has us looking for possible recruitments" he sighs.

I stare at him. I'm perfect for the job, I'm already doing shifty and illegal shit, if I'm part of his Mafia I'll be able to bury it better.

He messages his neck and groans before looking back at me and understands the look on my face.

"Hell no" he laughs

"What why?"

"Because it's dangerous, in every fucking way."

I give him a look, and he sighs.

"I mean- yeah I know you already do dangerous shit but..."

"So what's the problem what would be different Sam?" I throw my hands up.

"You'll get mixed with dangerous people."

"I am dangerous"

"That's corny as fuck move" he walks to the living room and falls on the couch.

"I'm serious! And you know what I mean bro. I don't mean that in a 'oh I'm scary fear me' typa way. I'm deadass, and you literally trained me to be this way"

"Are you complaining?"

I grab the nearest pillow and throw it at his head

"Stop changing the damn subject and listen to me. Am I not good at what I do"

He rolls his eyes "yes you are"

"So let me do this" I say, desperately.

He inhales deeply before sitting up.

I clap my hands together and jut my bottom lip.

He cringes and rolls his eyes, grabs his phone and starts dialling.

"Boss? Yeah it's me. I think I've got what you're looking for" he says glancing up at me.

"My niece. I been training her for years now"

Silence. The other end must be talking.

"Mhm. Yeah. Yeah we can go over it. Alright see you then"

He hangs up the phone.

"What what what" i say hopping.

"Get dressed" he says getting up and walking to his room.

"Huh?"

"We're having dinner at the bosses house"

Hell fucking yes.

"And look presentable, wear a dress or something. Be classy ya butthead"

Oh for fucks sake.
_____
I put on the most appropriate dress I could find. Psych it's my only dress, I wore it for grade 12 formal/prom. That night sucked ass.