Chapter 45

TW: suicide attempt

TW: suicide attempt

Mateo

Sam runs out the front door, Dad and I are behind him with our own keys to two more bikes.

"It's a bridge over a dam near our house" Sam shoved his helmet and revs his bike and doesn't think twice before driving off.

Dad and I do the same and follow behind him. My gucci slides refuse to stay on my feet properly.

We speed up once we're on the main road, cars begin to build up as we drive further up the highway.

"Fucken new years. roads are packed" Dad says through the ear piece in his helmet, Sam and I can both hear him, and we can all hear each other through the connected helmets.

I managed to swerve in the middle lane between Sam on my left and dad on my right. Our revving is most likely pissing off everyone on the road but we can't help but speed faster.

Red light, yellow light, red light, red light. In for one hell of a ticket, or a few. A few horns are beeped as I zoom past them, careless of whatever danger I may put myself or anyone else in.

"Shit, Traffic jam ahead" Sam notes, we slow our speeds as we approach the jam.

There's a thin space in the middle of the four lanes that one bike can fit through, but the others won't be able to. We're about eight minutes away and I feel my hands burn as I grip harder on the hand bar, tempted to rev and be the one to speed through.

"Mateo" Sam says through the connected helmet. I turn my attention to my left, Sam lifts his visor.
"Go. Save my niece" he says. He nods his head toward the lane. I take a deep breath and nod affirmatively.

My bike revs, and I lower my upper body as I speed through the traffic. Car horns surround me, I ignore every single one and they only make me go faster.

"Call Kelani" I tell Siri through my Bluetooth. My lower body presses against the seat of the bike as I try to speed faster, eager to escape the traffic.

The call rings out. I call again. And again. And again. And again.

"Fucken hell Kelani!" I scream through my helmet, and call once more as my throat closes in on itself.

It goes to voice mail and instead of ending the call before the beep, I continue. "Kelani..." I'm panting like I'm running to her "Kelani please please just hear me. Please don't do this. Don't give up. You have to keep going darling... you have to. Alaiyah wouldn't want you to do this, I don't want you to do this-" I swerve to the left lane, sparing myself from being clipped by the black Toyota that refuses to speed the fuck up.

"... shit. Kelani... please. I need you. I need you to survive. Not for me or for your uncle or anyone, but for yourself. Please don't let what those bastards did destroy you completely the way they did Alaiyah..." my eyes burn behind the helmet and my chest hurts as it continues to constrict.