Chapter 37

Kelani

The sound of yelling and whisper shouts causes me to wake up.

I squint my eyes trying to make sense of my surroundings. I don't recognise this room. The colour of the walls are unfamiliar. I sit up against the hard board in a rush, and I'm about to jump off the bed but then my eyes drop to my side.

A blurry figure lies on the bed. A head. The rest of the body is on a chair beside the bed. My eyes narrow, as I try to recall last night, then they widen.

Oh fuck.

I'm on Mateos bed, and Mateo fell asleep near me... and we're holding hands. It's all coming back as I wake myself up. Everything is still a little blurry and dark, it's still nighttime. Why the fuck is there so much noise?

I turn my head to the bowl on the bedside table, led lights reflect off the metal bowl. A blue digital clock lights up in my view.

"Shit" I mumble trying to read the numbers on the clock. It's either 5:10 or 6:10am. The sun usually rises by 6, so I'm going with 5:10. The ass of the sun would probably just be rising right about now.

"She's in here" I hear outside the door.

The door flings open, it's all the way at the other end of the room straight ahead so I can't make out who's there. Mateo wriggles on the seat beside me before mumbling and sitting up straight in his seat. His head turns to me for a second before looking at the door.

"Kelani" it's mum, her voice has worry in it and stress. "Mummy" I can't help but break down, the tears fall without my permission.

She runs to my other side, crawling onto the bed and pulls my head into her chest and hugging me into a tight momma bear hug. "Oh god. Kelani what the fuck is going on"

I sniff back my tears as she pulls back and assesses my face. I think she turns to Mateo on my other side because then she puffs "it's because of him."

"Miss Perez..." Mateo begins. "I'm sorry..."

"You said you would stay away from my daughter, and now look at her. This is on you!"

"Mum!" I grab her forearm, shaking her to shift her head toward me so I can try and find her eyes.
"This wasn't Mateos fault. In fact he's the one who saved me"

"Doesn't look very effective" she scoffs. "Mum. I was going to die. I was lucky he came when he did, Sam and Gabriel came too."

She stays quiet as I turn my head to Mateo "did Sam and Gabriel come back by the way?"

"I'm not sure, I fell asleep when you did, woke up when you did" he replies.

"They're back, just a little over an hour ago. They're okay, just downstairs handling some... business"
Isabella's voice sounds at the door.

Relief flows through my lungs, and I think same for Mateo because I hear a sigh escape his mouth.

"I still want to know what happened" mum demands, sitting on her knees beside me on the bed that, which has just occurred to me, is massive.

"A man abducted me from the hospital. He wanted to avenge his sons because I killed them..."

"You did what!?"

"They were rapists mum"

She sighs, and sucks her teeth.

"I avenge victims. Their victim was fucking 14. They were 18 and 19. they tormented her since she started highschool. They were going to kill her, I defended her. I don't regret it" i sum up everything, the room is silent.