Chapter 25

Mateo

good god.

She looks way too good right now. Her gorgeous frame hugged by the fabric of her jumpsuit, with some of her tattoos peeking through the lace parts on her waist and arms.

Her face covered by the mask, but I can still remember it before she put it on. Flawless.

If I keep sneaking glances at Kelani, I'm going to crash and kill us both. Tightening my hold on the wheel, I keep my eyes ahead.

Raindrops slide down the window shields, it's sprinkling. Looking up to the gloomy grey clouds as the sun lowers to its set, I realise it's about to rain soon.

Never had an issue with rain, but I hate driving in it.

Kelani lifts her mask and leans forward to look up through the sun roof of the car. A soft smile surfaces on her face.

"What're you smiling about?" I blurt. She keeps her gaze up to the gloomy clouds, her head almost leaning on my shoulder if she moved it a couple inches closer.

"It's raining... I feel like it hasn't rained in ages"

"People usually appreciate when it doesn't rain" I raise a brow.

"The best days are the rainy days in my opinion" she says softly, sitting back in her seat as she watches the rain hit the window.

I hum and can't help but shift my eyes to her without turning my head. Her hair feathered down, blocking my view. My eyes somehow travel down to her legs, the lace letting me view her snake tattoo that travels down below her knee, probably beginning at her thigh which I can't see.

Fuck. I'm gross. Shamefully my eyes dart away from her and just then, she gasps at the sudden halt the car in-front of us comes to.

My jaw tenses as I slam my foot down on the brake and my arm, by instinct, simultaneously pulls out infront of Kelanis chest.

The whiplash after stopping the car hits me, but not as much for Kelani with my arm caged over her. But her eyes are wide, and I notice her hands curl over my arm.

"Fucking idiot" I beep the horn at the moron in front of me, as well as the cars behind mine.

I turn my head to face Kelani, her chest rises and fall against my arm.

"Sorry" I sigh. I feel her hand softly loosen as I pull away my arm. She gulps before blinking out of her daze and turning her head to me.

She says nothing. Just stares at me as I accelerate the car once the traffic starts moving again. The tension between us remains still.

"What?" I ask, keep my eyes on the road.

She takes a moment to answer. "nothing"  she quickly looks away.

Music bass starts pumping from a distance. I speed the car down the road and park near the massive modern luxury home, covered in Halloween decorations and drunk partiers.

"Woah" Kelani smiles at the bright orange LEDs that light up the expensive home, as the day turns to night.

The car is put into park, engine switches off, and I turn to the gorgeous person beside me.

"You ready?"

She smirks before opening her door. I do the same. She steps out of the car with confidence.

And before I do too, a grab my gun from the glove compartment. And not just to complete the costume.

"Stay beside me" I demand, before we make our way to the party.