Chapter 52

Kelani

Kelani

Miguel is an observer it seems like. For the past three days that he has been with us, since he invited himself in Gabriels home, I have continuously caught him analysing every single one of us. Gabriel, Mateo, Isabella, Uncle Sam, me and of course, my mum. But when it's observing mum, he does it so... lovingly.

And it's weird because from the past few days, he has shown his cockiness and snarky aspects time and time again.

Like when Gabriel asked him not to put his feet up on the coffee table, Miguel carelessly stared Gabe straight in the eye as he pulls the table closer to him and stretched out his legs over the table. Gabe being the controlling neat freak that he is, left the room before he threw a fit.
Or when Sam updated him on everything that happened the past few months, from me meeting Mateo to now, he called his own nephew stupid for not figuring out that Sam and Alaiyah were related.

"You work with him, and you were friends with her. You didn't once realise they shared the same last name? wow, you're as dumb as your father". He said it so blatantly that it made me giggle, Mateo shooted me a glare and I quickly shut up.

"How you didn't cut off that piece of shit Elias earlier, is beyond me." He said that when I explained what Elias had done to me and Alaiyah, and the type of person he is.

All this dryness but toward mum, his gaze always softens and so does his tone and his mannerisms. Everything shifts when mum enters the room, he never takes his eyes off of her. I even caught him smiling as she cussed to herself when she ran her hand under hot water instead of cold, even though she was pissed he looked at her like she was the cutest thing he ever payed his eyes on. Or when she gets agitated and she yells at everything around her, he watches her with an amused look on his face.

I don't know what their story was, but as far as I know, they hated eachother until they didn't, and Miguel fell in love with her eventually and  still she couldn't stand him. But her reaction to seeing him, it was definitely not hate, or annoyance, or agitation. No, she definitely felt something too. My guess is, it was during their trip to Cuba, when Miguel had to be the adult she needed to fly with, It was a few months before the whole Isabella and Gabriel incident.

Now Gabriel knows everything. Including Alaiyah and I getting gang raped. Even though Alaiyah was his niece and I have no relation to him, he looked at me with so much sympathy and solemness like I was his blood.

He said something in Spanish that I couldn't fully make out, but it was something along the lines of 'horrible things happen to delicate souls'.

It was like he read me.

But then when Sam moved on to say that I'm capable of murder, and I have in fact killed many people, Miguel's frown of sympathy turned to a raised brow and a crooked smirk with an impressed nod before saying "I like you, kid".