Chapter 29

Mateo

Ace parks his bike behind my car and we both make our way to the entrance of the hospital.

The clock ontop of the reception desk strikes 3am, patients are being rolled in and out of rooms, the smell is dry and musky.

"Hi, we're here to visit a patient" Ace says calmly to the receptionist.

"Name?" She asks, brushing a hair strand behind her ear.

"Kelani Perez" I answer.

"Are you family members of the patient?"

"No- but-" I begin.

"I'm sorry, only family members are permitted"

"Can't you just do us this one favour, sweetheart?" Ace asks, leaning over the desk. The receptionist gets flustered and scoffs a small giggle.

"Okay. Just this once" she smiles, Ace turns to me and raises his brows, I roll my eyes and shake my head. The lady types away at her computer for a couple seconds before lifting her head "room 52b".

"Thank you, gorgeous" Ace smiles.

I speed walk toward the section of rooms, Ace catches up and we continue to look for the room. A bed rolls out of the nearest room, a patient covered with a sheet lays on it. Dead, moving to the morgue probably.

My stomach twists, and my mouth feels dryer by the second. That pit of guilt on the bottom of my stomach hasn't left, and it only gets deeper as I get closer to Kelanis room.
Room 48, 49, 50, 51.

"There it is" Ace inserts. I freeze in place. "What's the matter?" He frowns

"I don't know how to face her" I whisper.

"What do you mean? Why?" Ace moves closer, standing infront of me.

"She called me. Kelani called me three times and I didn't answer any of the calls because I was mad at her" my throat tightens.

"Oh Mateo..." Ace sighs. I shake my head and try to take a deep breath. "Just come on... surely she'll be relieved to see someone checking in", Ace tries to reassure, but I know when he's lying. He's just saying this to make me feel better, but in reality he's pissed at me.

Just as we are about to take another step, Sam walks out of the room, stressed and frazzled.

"Sam" I call. He turns toward us, his eyes land on me and suddenly his demeanour changes.

He stomps toward me "you." He snarls before grabbing me by my collar.

"Sam I-" I begin, but he throws his fist across my face, his hit so hard causing me to stumble back and hit the ground. Ace exclaims and grabs Sams arms back.

I accept the punch and get off the ground, wiping the blood away from my lip.

"You piece of shit" Sam spits. "Why weren't you there"

"I should have been. I know"

"So why. Weren't. You. She fucking called you bro!" He raises his voice, a vein popping out in his neck.

I rarely ever see Sam this angry, this is probably the first time I've seen him blow like this. This is definitely the first time he's been angry at me.

I stay silent, lowering my head shamefully. "I'm sorry"

Sam scoffs, pulling away from Ace and backs away. "Don't apologise to me"

"Can we see her?" Ace asks. Sam pants and turns away from me.

"The doctor is finalising her state. She's been mostly unconscious till now"