Chapter 24

Tw// sexual assault.

Kelani

The house is freezing. Mateo dropped me off back home so I can get ready for the party. He offered to take me shopping so I can just get ready at his house without moving back and forth, but I needed to check on mum anyway.

I've never spent a whole day without checking on mum. Yesterday was the first time I slept outside the house, and it was because I was afraid to leave Mateo alone knowing that man was under his roof. James. He now knows that I have relation to Mateo and the others, along with the fact that he knows I'm SaviourA and his sons murderer

I turn the heater up to 23 degrees Celsius before sliding off my shoes and heading upstairs.

Opening the door slowly, I hold my breath and peak inside, can't help but expecting something awful. But I just see her in bed, in different pjs and cleaned up. She showered, after I don't know how long.

Something tells me to step inside, I don't know it's like a gut feeling. And I learnt the hard way that I should never doubt my gut feeling.

Each step I take is slower and more cautious than the one before. She's sound asleep, hair covering her face. Just as I observe mum I notice something in my peripheral vision, the window.

Taking attention away from mum, I make way to the wide widow that she faces. White painted frame, cob webs in the corners. The dust fills my nose, as I lean over to see something unusual.

The lock, that holds the window closed looks shifted, as if it was opened and not closed back all the way. But something that alarms me more is the black paint that coats the lock, it's chipped off.

My chest tightens when I realise It was tampered with. I dart my head toward mum and furrow my brows trying to see if anything seems odd in the room.

Holding my breath, I lock the window properly and leave the room after not finding anything odd other than the lock. I need to tell Sam when he gets back tonight, he said he wanted to install cameras inside but I told him it was unnecessary if he has surveillance on our house outside majority of the time. He installed security cameras outside already, but after the Justin incident, he got a few men from his team to watch our house for mine and mums protection.

Obviously they're not doing a good fucking job if someone possibly managed or was able to even attempt to get in.

It was a mistake to leave mum alone, I was only scared for myself, I assumed if I stayed away from the house, the danger would stay away from it too and stay on me.

Guilt sits in the middle of my throat, how fucking selfish of me, how fucking stupid.

First time I spent a night out, leaving mum alone, and it's my last time.

I don't think I'm gonna go to the party, especially if uncle isn't here by the time I'm supposed to leave the house. Usually we make sure one or the other is in the house, if not both, with mum. When I tell him I left his sister alone after she was put in danger cause of me, he's going to flip his shit. And I don't blame him.

I dial Mateos phone as I make my way downstairs and lock all the doors. Locking the last door, and the call is still ringing. He's not picking up, I just end the call and start making a lunch for mum, hoping she'd at least attempt to eat it.

The plate clinks against the counter top and just then, my phone rigs. Mateo.

"Hey, sorry for not picking up, my phone wasn't on me" he says first.

"It's fine"

"Did you need something from me? Or tell me anything?"

"Yeah um- I don't think I'm gonna come to the party tonight"