Chapter 43

Kelani

Kelani

I feel a soft shudder run down my neck as I sit by the pool, feeling as though I have a set of eyes observing me. I'm keen to try and jump into the pool for a swim after a few years, but I'm worried someone will see me. The thought of someone scanning inches of my skin makes my insides twist.

The pool is large and built into the ground with a sky blue marble patterned foundation. The pool is in the centre of the large backyard, in an area between the west and east Manors. The space is exposed to anyone from the mansions veranda or from the manors, but the fence surrounding the entire mansion would prevent anyone from outside looking in.

Even though I know and trust everyone in the mansion, I still feel uneasy exposing my hideously scarred body like that where they could see even if it was without intention.

So again, I chicken out of jumping into the pool carelessly, for the third week in a row.

Throughout these three weeks, there's been no sightings of Dylan or any other potential dangers to me or the whole family. So it's felt as though I've been walking on eggshells since I first moved into the Mansion Mateo Askade, because all I am thinking about is the unknown. I have no idea what Dylan is up to or why he hasn't attempted to snatch me or Isabella yet, quite frankly I'd rather not know. But again, fear of the unknown eats me alive until I have some sort of closure or reassurance.

Throughout these three weeks, Mateo has been clingy and overprotective. We haven't had a close tense, heated moment since the last one on my first night moving here. Mateo hasn't tried anything like that since then. However his verbal flirting has never been more persistent. He couldn't take away his flirtatious nature if I held a gun to his head.

Hell I have. I once shot him in the arm and he was still flirting with me. Like the stupid and unhinged dumbass he is.

Still he makes me breakfast, lunch and dinner, and scolds me when I don't eat full meals. I usually live off one meal a day, that's if I'm actually in the mood to eat that much, plus some snacks throughout the day. So this three meals thing is too new, and I feel like a fat shit eating so much more than I usually do.

I haven't been finishing my meals since I'm scared of gaining more weight, I just don't get as hungry as I used to.

And as much as he pretends all is good, even though we both know it's not, I can't help but get the feeling that something else is wrong that he's not telling me.

I look up to the clear sky, watching the group of birds glide along the blue, without a care in the word. Never have I felt that. Care free. All my life I've been worrying about something and it just got worse as I got older.

I admire birds, envy them even, they can fly away from any obstacle that gets in their way instead of having to go through it.

I lift my hand out of the clear water and shake it off before trying to lift to my feet.